RCU Forums - View Single Post - Career opportunities with R/C
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Career opportunities with R/C

ORIGINAL: PYR0BURN23

A question that probably poisons a lot of r/cers, is how can I make a living doing what I love? What different opportunities are out there, how to get involved in them, getting the right qualifications, etc. There isn't really a specific target for this post, just looking to chat about what ideas people have towards being involved in the business world of radio control.
The opportunities in any field include sales and advertising. Development is another area.

I recall Mike Cross & Ann Marie built models for other flyers. At the time, Mike was flying competition (Freestyle champ, in the 90's, I recall.) Then he want to work for Great Planes, and handles development tasks on planes and 'copters, while making appearances (probably funded by the advertising department.) Ann Marie had customer service responsibility, for a long time, and also did some development on manuals (9CAP in particular, as I recall.)

If you're a competition flyer, you could try to get a job flying for the radio manufacturers.

If you're a top builder, you can sell models or build them to custom order, for paying customers (and deal with the typical small-business headaches.)

If you're a salesman, you can get a sales job. If you're an engineer, you might design planes (to sell by yourself, or for a company). If you're into Customer Relations, you can try for that position. Business considerations always apply.

Me, I want to find someone who'll pay me to build when I want to, fly when I want to, and furnish the raw materials. No luck, so far!

Dave Olson