RCU Forums - View Single Post - 3D & Hovering Guidelines in Your Club
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 12:50 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D & Hovering Guidelines in Your Club

ORIGINAL: Propwash in Pa

So, kinda ironic that I started this tread so as to gain understanding from the general community. I find the dialog about "those who want more rules because they are not skilled flyers" to be not only wrong but very shortsighted. Allow me to describe what happened at the field today. While flying my P-51, a fellow flying a foamy stood in the slot next to me. I was having engine trouble, made a loud announcement about this fact and that I was landing. I proceded to drop the gears, lower flaps half way, and line-up on final. As I crossed the threshold of the runway, he flew (hovered) directly in my path. I added throttle and climbed to about 30' and my engine quite. Let's see, slow and low, not a good combination. I flew it out and "landed" in some high weeds. No damage.

Several of the club members said that I should have flown through him. I decided to talk to him about the situation. He was apologetic. I do not believe this will be a problem (with him) in the future. The strange this is that there is a nice area set aside for 3D and helis at this club.

In this case I really don't see how a RULE would have made any difference...the fellow would have been just as oblivious either way. Face it… if he will not heed an immediate notice I doubt any other notice or rules would have make a difference. Of course, as you experience level increases you will feel more comfortable in a similar situation should it arise again and will be able to make your landing despite an aircraft...especially a foamy being over the runway I land under other aircraft all the time without any concerns at all…but…I am experienced at doing so

Ok… couldn’t resist…so before your panties get all bunched up…In all seriousness, when it comes to runway use there is a logical priority. Dead-sticks or any trouble is foremost…landing is next…then take off and finally any maneuvering i.e. Flybys, touch n’ goes and of course 3-D.

In the end, it really is about communication (which you did do)… all any rule allows is a means to admonish/punish someone AFTER something happens but… there is always other means that work very well.

Yes… that pilot was inconsiderate and wrong but it doesn’t take a RULE to figure that out....