RCU Forums - View Single Post - Opensource CDI ignition
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 03:49 PM
diablo_r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Opensource CDI ignition

well I installed the old SCR that was spark jumping at 600v DC, and used a potentiometer to drop the +5v and adjusted it until it triggered. Seemed to work okay, I built a 30Hz input circuit to emulate the hall sensor and all seems okay, but a bit of inconsistent sparking at 30Hz, I think the pot needs a bit more adjusting, or maybe the SCR is damaged too. I should have some new ones tmorrow so I'll change it anyway. the sparks are impressive!

I just used a transistor to switch the hall froma 0v to a +5v signal, then the pot, then to the gate of the SCR. I put an LED in too to use for static ign timing.

Dr Evil, compared to magneto ign it will cut the weight by about 12- 14 oz I guess, and it should run better as you have fully varaible timing instead of the almost fixed timing of magneto ign. It should also give better starting as you get a spark at any RPM, magnetos usually stuggle below 300rpm which makes hand cranking difficult on some (but not all) magneto motors.

Cheers,
Rich

PS Jon, fixed the xls file, its written for French excel, the dec to hex converter is a different name in the english version[:'(]