RCU Forums - View Single Post - 4wd off road buggy EXOTIC: PLEASE HELP BJ4 or Predator X10
Old 10-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Platinum_Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4wd off road buggy EXOTIC: PLEASE HELP BJ4 or Predator X10

I think the BJ4 does a very good job at winning races, it's already proved that time and time again. I just prefer to have a purpose built R/C car that is designed from the ground up for one purpose. In this case, to be a competative 4WD offroader. That way you know that every little insignificant part was specificly designed to perform it's best through the hardest 4WD races anyone can find. There is noothing wrong with the BJ4, I just think that if your going to buy a car it should be designed accordingly. Sure, My Traxxas Bandit wasn't built to race at all, let alone on pavement. However, my modifications have transformed it into one of the most dominant racers in the Pro-Stock class at my track. It still will never outpace the purpose built TC3's or HPI Pro 4's that run in stock and mod touring, but that's why I have a TC3.

The parts taken from the TC3 for use in the BJ4 were designed for on road racing, not off-road 4 wheeling. The suspension parts and offsets on the B4 were built for 2WD off-roading, not 4WD off-roading. Even though much of those designes were tweaked, the part was still designed for a separate purpose. It is for this reason that 4WD Stampede conversions generally suck when compared to a 4WD monster of it's caliber (Is there one other than the HPI MT?)

In the end, the TC3 is a dominant club racer, the B4 can be called a XXX killer, but what would make anyone think that if you quickly combined the two that you could make the most efficient 4WD buggy? If J-Concepts had gone the way of Durango and TTECH they would have a buggy that was probably 10X better than the BJ4, judging by how dominant they have been with a "strategic compilation of spare parts." The only flaw in my little rant is that they proved that the design works, and that much I really can't argue with.