RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is learning with a buddy box needed
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 07:07 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is learning with a buddy box needed

ORIGINAL: panzerd18

I'm new to model R/C so if I sound like a noob, best chances I am a noob!

Anyway when learning to fly is a buddy box to your instructors radio needed? Has anyone learnt without a buddy box with the instructor over your shoulder. I'm not a total hack as I have flown real aircraft solo (have only 35hours) so I know the principles of flight however flying R/C is a lot different.

Am saying this because very few people have Airtronics radios in Australia. Therefore instructors with another airtronics radio I can join mine too would be nearly non existent.
I've been teaching kinesthetically ( http://www.lighthousehobby.com/RT.htm ) for 3 decades and have found it's much easier, faster, more fun and safer than when I used a buddy-box. Unfortunately, no one seems interested in learning anything other than the buddy-box method. As they say, to each his own.
I have no problem having all my students safely takeoff and land on their very first lesson. On the average, most can safely solo within 4 hours or a day or two. That is something I couldn't have done using the buddy-box.

CCR