Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Is learning with a buddy box needed

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Is learning with a buddy box needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 12:10 AM
panzerd18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is learning with a buddy box needed

I'm new to model R/C so if I sound like a noob, best chances I am a noob!

Anyway when learning to fly is a buddy box to your instructors radio needed? Has anyone learnt without a buddy box with the instructor over your shoulder. I'm not a total hack as I have flown real aircraft solo (have only 35hours) so I know the principles of flight however flying R/C is a lot different.

Am saying this because very few people have Airtronics radios in Australia. Therefore instructors with another airtronics radio I can join mine too would be nearly non existent.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:20 AM
the_madgenius

Default RE: Is learning with a buddy box needed

panzerd18, YES, it is possible to learn to fly without the buddy system. When i learnt to fly there was no such thing as buddy cord.As an istructor i have taught many people to fly without the buddy system for that reason, no match up. One thing you can do to help you along is go to your library and ask for David Boddington's book called "Basic Radio Control Flying" Read it carefully, and with that knowledge and an instructor you will have no problems. Iwish you all the best in modelling and many happy hours of flying.
the_madgenius
Old 10-09-2005, 12:29 AM
panzerd18

Cool thanks for your response. I want to get the Airtronics VG6000 and if you can learn without a buddy box then this transmitter will suit me fine.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:32 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

panzerd18,
It is totally possible to learn without a buddy box. That's the way I learned to fly. Just make sure to not fight the instructor when he tries to take the radio back.

Ken
Old 10-09-2005, 12:33 AM
the_madgenius

I see you are in my country , I am Central Queensland , where are you geographically ?
Old 10-09-2005, 12:33 AM
nickj

No buddy box is better than no instructor at all. Many have learned to fly while exchanging the transmitter with the instructor. Some instructors are reluctant to teach without a trainer cord, though, because the instructor isn't in control. A student can be reluctant to hand over the radio when he gets in trouble, and may crash in a situation the instructor could've saved. With a buddy cord, the instructor gets to decide when the student is in trouble.

You're quite correct that RC is different than full-scale. I've done both, and RC is more difficult, mostly because of the lack of perspective and kinesthetic feedback. (The consequences of a mistake aren't as great, however).
Old 10-09-2005, 12:44 AM
vertigo72480

I totally learned to fly with out an instructor or a buddy cord. Rather than jumping in full bore with a nitro plane I built a very, very slow flying electric contraption with elevator, throttle, and rudder and flew the crap out of it. I also invested in Aero FLy Pro. The Simulator was my instrustor for the most part. It really helped me as far as getting rid of "dumb thumbs" sydrome.

So, no you do not need a buddy box or an instructor. Looking back on my experience, keep in mind, I have only been flying for one year really, I don't regret not having an instructor. The learning curve was a little steep, but because I fought it myself I have no problems when maidening new aircraft, or helping out other pilots.

By going it alone, I have learned a lot more, a lot faster, and have become one of the guys everybody turns to for help. One thing though, if you are going to do it by yourself, get a simulator. I know the sims seem a lot like video games but it really does make a huge difference.

Here is a picture of my first flying contraption:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54039.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	336303  
Old 10-09-2005, 12:51 AM
panzerd18

What is the best sim and are they expensive? BTW I'm in Victoria and thanks all for your replies they have really helped.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:10 AM
the_madgenius

Panzerd18, it is me again, the Ikarus Aerofly sim sells for about $300-00 Australian, or you can down load the FMS sim for free, bear in mind that the FMS is very basic, but you will gain some knowledge from it. Hope this is of some help to you
the_madgenius
Old 10-09-2005, 01:13 AM
vertigo72480

ORIGINAL: panzerd18

What is the best sim and are they expensive? BTW I'm in Victoria and thanks all for your replies they have really helped.
Now you're looking to start a fight. Aero Fly Pro and Aero Fly Pro Deluxe are available from [link=http://www.aeroflypro.com]AeroFLyPro website[/link] www.aeroflypro.com. The other sims are Reflex, and RealFlight G3. I'm not sure where to get Reflex, but you can get RealFlight G3 from Tower Hobbies, or your LHS may have it in stock.

I have AeroFly Pro and love it. It has since been replace with the Deluxe edition which I believe improved the graphics and the physics. I have also flown on RealFlight G2 but I really didn't care for the respone feel of the simulator. I think that all the simulators allow for you to plug your radio directly into the computer via a cable that should be supplied with the program. You may need an adaptor for your radio.

Aero Fly Pro and Aero Fly Pro Deluxe originate from Germany, and RealFlight is produced by Great Planes.

RealFlight is going for 249.96 USD in the current Tower Hobbies catalog. AeroFly Pro is still available from their website for 99.95 USD, and the Deluxe edition (which I would recommend you get) is going for 179.95 USD. Now, RealFlight is going to come with its own controller, which will make setup a little easier. But I like that fact that I had to use my own radio with AeroFly because I got comfortable with it faster. Which ever you choose is going to help you either way.

I would do a little research on both and then make a decision based on what fits your needs.

Old 10-09-2005, 01:27 AM
panzerd18

Dam those sims are expensive. For 250USD I could buy my trainer and engine. I think I will either get the Airtronics and learn without a buddy system or buy a Futaba/hitec/JR and use the buddy cord.

The sims look really nice but a bit to expensive for me. I have FlightSim 2004 so I can use the spot plane feature and control it but can't plug a radio in I dont think.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:48 AM
the_madgenius

panzerd18, me once more with another hint for you . Go to your local newsagent, and get the Australian AIRBORNE magazine for model aeroplane enthusiasts. In it you can look up the ad for MODEL FLIGHT in South Australia, give them a ring, and just maybe they can make a cable for you to match your flight sim 2004.
the_madgenius
Old 10-09-2005, 01:53 AM
the_madgenius

RCKen,
oops, is it permissable for me to mention business places like i did above to help Panzerd18 ? If I have broken any law i apologize for it , and will endeavour not to do it again in the main forum.
the_madgenius
Old 10-09-2005, 02:00 AM
vertigo72480

Panzer, there is a program called FMS, Flying Model Simulator, which is very very very basic, but you can have a cable made or there already may be a cable made for you that will allow you to plu your radio in. FMS is free, just do a Google for it and you should be able to find it. If you don't want to spend the money, I would recommend FMS then.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:52 AM
panzerd18

Thanks for your help everyone.

I'm going to get

World Class Models Worldstar 40 Trainer
OS .46AX
Futaba 6EXA Super 6ch computer radio

What do you think?
Old 10-09-2005, 06:34 AM
The Raven

The use of buddy boxes and associated paraphenalia is quite rare in Australia, however; some clubs use it.

I learnt to fly without any such equipment and habe just upgraded to my first low wing, probably one too advanced but one I've managed to keep alive for the first dozen flights.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:49 AM
RC-Captain

What do you think?

Not to bust your nads, but I think you are more interested in getting the plane in the air than actually taking the correct steps to learn to fly . I taught myself and advocate 1. joining AMA 2. Joining a club or hook up with an experienced flyer 3. get any kind of simulator it really doesn't matter which one. 4. practice practice practice.

I can remember all of the crashes I have had all they way up to the first successful flight with a megatech skyliner electric plane. And I always think if only I had some one to grab the sticks when I was about to crash , how much money I would have saved. I always let by goners be by goners , but never let someone I can help experience my by goners. So the best advice I can give you is to take your time learning and you will begin to experience the most wonderful thing you couldn't have imagined you would experience. GL

R C F esq.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:07 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: panzerd18

I'm new to model R/C so if I sound like a noob, best chances I am a noob!

Anyway when learning to fly is a buddy box to your instructors radio needed? Has anyone learnt without a buddy box with the instructor over your shoulder. I'm not a total hack as I have flown real aircraft solo (have only 35hours) so I know the principles of flight however flying R/C is a lot different.

Am saying this because very few people have Airtronics radios in Australia. Therefore instructors with another airtronics radio I can join mine too would be nearly non existent.
I've been teaching kinesthetically ( http://www.lighthousehobby.com/RT.htm ) for 3 decades and have found it's much easier, faster, more fun and safer than when I used a buddy-box. Unfortunately, no one seems interested in learning anything other than the buddy-box method. As they say, to each his own.
I have no problem having all my students safely takeoff and land on their very first lesson. On the average, most can safely solo within 4 hours or a day or two. That is something I couldn't have done using the buddy-box.

CCR

Old 10-09-2005, 07:26 AM
panzerd18

Yes I'm going to join a Club and have an instructor teach me, however if I decide to get the Airtronics VG6000 then I will have no hope in having a buddy box system due to the fact no-one uses Airtronics in Australia.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:01 PM
vertigo72480

I think your choice in equipment is perfect. I have a Futaba 6EXA regular (before they went super) and I love it. You will be very happy with that setup, but a Nitro plane is a lot faster than a lot of people think. You will want to have someone there to help you get it in the air or your first flight will be very short.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:00 PM
carrellh

$36.99 will get you an Airtronics buddy box and cord; letting you get the radio you really wanted.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/479300.asp
A side benefit of having your own box; after you're good at flying you can be the 'teacher' and let your friends or relatives have a go at flying your plane.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Johnegpf

I have the 6EXA as well, great transmitter as a " new Boy" it has everything I need and them some,easy to setup and feels nice to fly with.
Only change I made was to fit a larger capacity NICAD for peace of mind( probably not needed).

Have fun
John