RCU Forums - View Single Post - Will higher fees mean less members?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 10:23 PM
jhelps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will higher fees mean less members?

I was about to say " The Bottom line is" however that would make me omnipotent and I'm not, so I will say ...

This is indeed a democratic organization therefore we should trust our executive or vote to remove them. If we trust them then we should also trust that the 75.00 fee has been carefully weighed and arrived at for reasonably rational reasons. On the other hand if as Ken says the majority just want insurance then instead of quitting (as has been suggested here) it should be very easy to get 50% + 1 of the membership (it doesn't even need a huge majority) to attend zone meetings in every zone (in fact you would only need to make it happen in 8 or so to swing things) and vote in ZD's that would form a completely new BOD to make the changes apparently "most" members want. Indeed with access to the internet it should be very easy to organize such a campaign. Why is this not taking place? Because as I said before I believe "most" people are reasonably satisfied with the status quo, maybe its not perfect but apparently it is good enough.

I would suggest that we need to look beyond the $75.00 to find out if there truely is a dues or other annoyance related reason folks are departing (While I have maintained my MAAC and will continue to pay club dues - I did not fly once this year other things took over at this point in time see www.m38jeepproject.com) or is it simply the normal ingress and departure from the hobby. While the claim has been made that dues are causing folks to leave MAAC and organized clubs to fly uninsured on private land, it is just as easy to say that rules, or national or local politics caused it as well. The truth is we simply don't know.

Jeff H