RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building vs Assembling [kits vs arf]
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 10:59 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building vs Assembling [kits vs arf]

ORIGINAL: rainedav

But, my real concern is that the hobby is shifting (neutral word) from one of craftsmanship, engineering, problem solving and creativity to one of thumb agility.
It may be true that these days the skills and character traits that I value so much - and gained from modeling - are simply not necessary in today's job world, so why learn them. But, I still believe that one is missing a great deal of enjoyment and personal reward by never having sliced a finger open with a razor blade.
Raineday, you and I think alike! But we are a dying breed my friend. This is exactly why I enjoy the Vintage R/C environment so much. Craftsmanship, skill, creativity, attention to detail and a bit of artistic flair is still a requirement. I miss the days when modeling was a major part of the hobby and the determination folks had back then to be master builders.
If you didn't master the building skills you didn't fly, it was the right of passage in the early days of R/C.
I admit, I do assemble an ARF from time to time, but its really so I can just keep up with the changing times.