RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building vs Assembling [kits vs arf]
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 11:42 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Building vs Assembling [kits vs arf]

The first plane I built was a Phoenix 1 from RCM plans--it was rough-looking, but I did it. When I first flew, all we had were kits and plans. The good part was the knowledge you gain about working with balsa, and the individual color schemes that come from building your own plane. The downside was the life investment you had to make building that plane. A newcomer could spend months building a plane, only to totally wipe it out in seconds with a couple "dumb-thumbs". There was a sign posted on the wall of the local model shop back when that said "...God does not deduct the time spending models from our lifespan..." I can only hope that's true.

The best thing about ARFs IMHO is when they are used as trainers, or back-up planes---you don't have the emotional attachment you develop when you spend so much of your spare time building. If it goes in--it goes in. That fact might make a pilot a little less nervous while trying new things. Lately, there seems to be a decided lack of originality out at the field, which is filled with the predictable ARFs, and their stock Monokote finishes. Rarely do the manufacturers finish a plane the way I would have done it, or use the colors I'd use---some of the finishes look downright gaudy to me--with "loud"colors that don't go together well. Every ARF I've ever built, I've made changes to the finish to add a little bit of a personal touch.

Right now I'm building TWO King Altairs from RCM, (1966 design), plans. I enjoy building to a point, but the real reason is that building them is the ONLY WAY I can get these great-flying planes. It has really been a LABOR of love. It's challenging and time-consuming to make all the templates, cut every piece out, sand all the parts to get the best fit etc if you're going to do a good job, but there are rewards too, and a feeling of accomplishment knowing I'm flying something different and personal at the field. There have been a lot of small mods, (small engineering changes), I've made along the way that add to the time as well. I'm not a particularly fast builder, and try to work a little each day rather than working constantly until it's done. I started making the templates in early December last year, and I am in the middle of the fuses now, after completing the stabs and wings. I was hoping to fly them this season, but other projects, and the 40+ hours I need to spend at work , get in the way of my building. When they are finally done, it will be the first time ever that I've built two of the same plane with identical paint schemes. Looking forward to flying them next spring. I'll post a picture if/when they're finally done.