RCU Forums - View Single Post - How do you store your FF planes??
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002, 06:16 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane Storage

My shop is over the garage in a bonus room. Since I have a 3-1/2 car garage, my shop is of good size. The walls in the bonus room are not very tall, about half way up, they are slanted, as with most bonus rooms. So I came up with a different kind of idea. I built a free standing rack out of PVC. The stand will hold 3 Fun-Flys. They are supported by PVC covered with pipe insulation. The airplanes are resting at a 45 degree angle support under their wings. I take this stand normally to the shows to display my aircraft. I also have a PVC rack set-up for a single plan. I use this to transport and display one plane. I use silicone tubing to hold the planes in the racks for transportation. It works great.
I also have a large free standing rack constructed out of 2X4s that resides in the middle of the room. Its position is so that I can use the full height of the ceiling. I install 7/8" dowels of different lengths into the counterbored 2X4s. I store fuselages and wings seperately on this system (bigger stuff). I also have home-made PVC racks mounted inside closests in the shop for racers and their wings (smaller aircraft with removable wings). I have about 900 SQ. FT. of shop with 6 work benches, airplane rack systems, and machinery. I've run out of room!
I'll post pics if you would like. Let me know if you have an interest, though my shop is a mess (I'm working there Honey - Leave me alone!)
Kevin