Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

How do you store your FF planes??

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

How do you store your FF planes??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 12:01 AM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you store your FF planes??

OK, I'm hooked!! I have a couple, now, but want more!

How do y'all store your Fun Fly integral wing planes in the basement, garage, or whatever?

Pics would be great!! I haven't figured out a way to make good use of my space, yet, and I need to, desperately!!

Thanks in advance!!

Roger
Old 11-12-2002, 02:15 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Due to my garage door going up underneath the roof, it is impossible to hang my birds there. My wife doesn't let me have any of my Airplane stuff in the House , so I hang them from the wall in the Garage. I bought some white "L" metal hangers from Home Depot and just anchored them into the wall, and covered with some foam tubing insulation. Cost is about $3 per plane. Works outstanding, and does not damage the tail. Saves tons of space, and is easy storage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35203_3591.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	22301  
Old 11-12-2002, 03:56 PM
brickwoodward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey roger, texas 3d has the method for walls, my garage ceiling is trusses with gypsum board hung for the finished ceiling. i cut holes next to the trusses and screwed 1x2's to the trusses up in the attic, then made hangers out of those. i also have bicycle hooks that i screw to the truss, through the gypsum board.....then use soft rope or foam covered wire to make hangers......bill w.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:10 PM
Hercmate

My wife to be also banned my planes from the house so mine live on the wall in the garage too. Like Texas 3d I also used the metal L shelf supports with foam insualation on but mine are stored horizonally against the wall. I've also mounted plug sockets underneath each one for in situ charging. The wings are supported in between the trusses on the ceiling with 1" x 2" and I have room for 7 (only one more space left!)

Texas - I tought it was a cardinal sin to store models 'engine down' as any fuel will drain forwards and corrode the bearing? I store mine on a slight incline so they can drain to the rear of the engine.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:13 PM
rcav8or

Thankfully, my wife does allow planes in the house...here's a picture of them stored temporarily while I finish the shop, and garage...

Thanks for the hints - I do worry about using the stab for support, as I feel the stab would tweak over time, from the weight. Has anyone hung them by the landing gear? I was that once, but can't for the life of me find the pictures...

Name:	35223_636.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	22302  
Old 11-12-2002, 04:27 PM
Texas 3D

rcav8or, I can't find words for your type of storage ! Poor little things, just look how they have to live.

Just kidding ! No, by hanging them like this, the tail will not weaken. But now Hercmate might be right about the bearing corroding. I will turn them around, and hang from the landing gear. The L shape shelf supports are long enough I think. I'll give it a try.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:26 PM
rcav8or

Originally posted by Texas 3D

rcav8or, I can't find words for your type of storage ! Poor little things, just look how they have to live.
I can see you feel their pain!! There are actually 11 planes in there! That's not counting the 6 or so that are stored in the garage yet, and basement....Now, you can see why I need to come up with a viable solution...

Thanks, and let me know if the landing gear hanging works out...I like Hercmates idea of horizontally hanging as well...Herc, I assume you have the gear towards the wall?

Here's a couple pics of the shop - insulated the heck out of it, little baseboard heater - will be able to work out there, when it gets 10 below...

Thanks again...

R

Name:	35235_636.jpg
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	22303  
Old 11-12-2002, 05:27 PM
rcav8or

Another shot, with the custom honeycomb building table...wish I had done this 10 years ago!!

Name:	35236_636.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	22304  
Old 11-12-2002, 05:42 PM
Texas 3D

Default nice

Now that looks nice. Your planes will have a good home after all.

I want a building room like yours to. I am jealous
Old 11-12-2002, 05:58 PM
rcav8or

It is nice - I am pleased with the way it turned out. Plus I can make noise late at night now - I work 2nd shift, which made it hard to run the power stuff, especially in the house - now, with the isulation, it's barely audible.

I put pegboard on two walls, and have enough hangers to hang every essential tool, plus inventory, and I am in the process of putting up more shelving. I have workbenches butting up to the "box" on both sides, and if I ever get organized, going to have quite a little shop.

I drive a big truck, and my garage was built in '50, with an angled driveway. I couldn't even get my Geo Metro in, much less the truck - the other half has the wifes car and Harley, so the shop side is mine. Life couldn't be better!!

My wife is very tolerant - as I am fond of saying, "We only have one thing in common - - we both love ME!!!!"

Old 11-12-2002, 06:04 PM
Texas 3D

Originally posted by rcav8or

My wife is very tolerant - as I am fond of saying, "We only have one thing in common - - we both love ME!!!!"

That's the same in my house to ! LOL.

That was a good one.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:16 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default Plane Storage

My shop is over the garage in a bonus room. Since I have a 3-1/2 car garage, my shop is of good size. The walls in the bonus room are not very tall, about half way up, they are slanted, as with most bonus rooms. So I came up with a different kind of idea. I built a free standing rack out of PVC. The stand will hold 3 Fun-Flys. They are supported by PVC covered with pipe insulation. The airplanes are resting at a 45 degree angle support under their wings. I take this stand normally to the shows to display my aircraft. I also have a PVC rack set-up for a single plan. I use this to transport and display one plane. I use silicone tubing to hold the planes in the racks for transportation. It works great.
I also have a large free standing rack constructed out of 2X4s that resides in the middle of the room. Its position is so that I can use the full height of the ceiling. I install 7/8" dowels of different lengths into the counterbored 2X4s. I store fuselages and wings seperately on this system (bigger stuff). I also have home-made PVC racks mounted inside closests in the shop for racers and their wings (smaller aircraft with removable wings). I have about 900 SQ. FT. of shop with 6 work benches, airplane rack systems, and machinery. I've run out of room!
I'll post pics if you would like. Let me know if you have an interest, though my shop is a mess (I'm working there Honey - Leave me alone!)
Kevin
Old 11-12-2002, 06:17 PM
3Dreaming

Default Airplane storage

I don't have any pictures, but my shop has a corrugated metal wall with a conduit near the top. I will hang the wheels in the conduit, and let the airplane hang. It is like setting in a three point position on the wall with the conduit to keep it from rolling backward. Tom
Old 11-12-2002, 06:34 PM
rcav8or

Kevin - pics would be great, and appreciated!

Tom - I don't understand about the conduit - how big is it? Is it part of the perling? Or electrical, that happened to be there? If I picture it right, you hook the wheels over an existing conduit? If you have a way to post a picture that might make it easier to see...

Thanks all, again!

R
Old 11-12-2002, 07:06 PM
sporty76

Forgive the crudeness of my drawing, but here is how I do mine. I believe that this is exactly what Kevin was talking about also. This could be done with any type of rod (for instance a closet rod and the associated hangars) ran horizontally along the wall.

Hope this helps
Frank

Name:	35246_16619.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	22305  
Old 11-12-2002, 07:12 PM
rcav8or

Frank,

Pretty much how I pictured it - How big/heavy a plane would you trust to it?

Thx

R
Old 11-12-2002, 07:16 PM
Hercmate

Unfortunatly I haven't got a picture but if you imagine the shelf brackets coming of the wall (with no shelf obviously!) then the plane (minus wings) rests horizontally on it, upright with wheels pointing towards the floor.

The whole thing is based around these shelf tracks that run vertically up the wall. I put the two tracks 2 feet apart. They have T-shaped slots in every half inch or so all the way up. The shelf supports can then slot into them as required and the bottom of the fus (usually the cowling or part foward of undercarriage and the part just forward of the tail) rests on them. They are covered with pipe insulatation. That way they don't stick out too far from the wall, and I can get 5 aircraft comfortably between floor and ceiling. I hope you get the picture, I know it doesn't work for everyone but its cheap and easy to do. It also helps save the bearings in the engine if you angle the fus (and supports) slightly nose high.

Hope this helps, but I guess theres no right answer!
Old 11-12-2002, 07:27 PM
TERMAGATOR
My Feedback: (2)

Default transmitter neck straps

heres how i store mine when I'm not chargeing them. I bought a bunch of neck straps from a hobby store in Nashville. I'll find a ceiling truss and stick a screw in hook in the truss. here is a pick of the GWB and my Ex3303D

Name:	35249_7876.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	22306  
Old 11-12-2002, 07:29 PM
TERMAGATOR

heres another shot. you can see the 2 profiles in the ceiling, behind them is a Kadet fuse. On the wall is a profile hanging on a peg board. I can charge them hanging on the wall....G

Name:	35250_7876.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	22307  
Old 11-12-2002, 07:29 PM
sporty76

As far as how big/heavy of a plane I would trust to it, it all depends on the strength of the hangars you use. With a piece of 3/4" EMT conduit and some heavy duty closet brackets, I can hang from the bar myself. The brackets need to be strong enough and it needs to be anchored well enough to the wall. Do not use drywall anchors. I would use a decent size lag bolt directly into the wall studs. Also, you should put several intermediate supports, not just one at each end.

Should hold anythin you could put on it.

Frank
Old 11-12-2002, 07:32 PM
TERMAGATOR

I dont have pics of it but I also hung an ISC staudacher and a byron P-51 in the ceiling, the staud was 18-20lbs the p51 ?, but it was heavier than the staud...G
Old 11-12-2002, 08:21 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Default Re: Plane Storage

I'd love to see some pics kevin...

Originally posted by kevin4hsrcm
My shop is over the garage in a bonus room. Since I have a 3-1/2 car garage, my shop is of good size. The walls in the bonus room are not very tall, about half way up, they are slanted, as with most bonus rooms. So I came up with a different kind of idea. I built a free standing rack out of PVC. The stand will hold 3 Fun-Flys. They are supported by PVC covered with pipe insulation. The airplanes are resting at a 45 degree angle support under their wings. I take this stand normally to the shows to display my aircraft. I also have a PVC rack set-up for a single plan. I use this to transport and display one plane. I use silicone tubing to hold the planes in the racks for transportation. It works great.
I also have a large free standing rack constructed out of 2X4s that resides in the middle of the room. Its position is so that I can use the full height of the ceiling. I install 7/8" dowels of different lengths into the counterbored 2X4s. I store fuselages and wings seperately on this system (bigger stuff). I also have home-made PVC racks mounted inside closests in the shop for racers and their wings (smaller aircraft with removable wings). I have about 900 SQ. FT. of shop with 6 work benches, airplane rack systems, and machinery. I've run out of room!
I'll post pics if you would like. Let me know if you have an interest, though my shop is a mess (I'm working there Honey - Leave me alone!)
Kevin
Old 11-12-2002, 09:36 PM
Kevins_RC

Default Post some pics

I'll get a couple of pics tonight and post them, but I'm telling you guys, its a mess!
Kevin
Old 11-12-2002, 09:42 PM
rcav8or

Kevin - I bet you my mess can outdo your mess, 2-to-1, hands down!!!

Bring 'em on!!

:sunsmiley

R
Old 11-12-2002, 10:06 PM
Kevins_RC

Default Mess

Actually RCav8or, seeing your pics earlier in this thread makes me feel good about "my mess". I think I am going to download the pics you posted and print them out for my wife to see
Actually, she doesn't bother me much about it. In fact, she doesn't come into my shop often, I guess she is afraid that I will make her help me pack up some kits
Kevin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.