RCU Forums - View Single Post - Palmer 1/4 Scale BD-5 and Misc. Info
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 11:39 PM
sfsjkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Palmer 1/4 Scale BD-5 and Misc. Info

Alright guys/gals,

This will be my first build thread! I'm not sure how much response will be generated, but hopefully you'll all get me motivated on this project again and offer some suggestions on any problem areas. At the very least, if you are also inclined to build a BD-5, you'll have more info on the Palmer version, and I'll be able to put my little used scanner/camera to more use.

At the risk of dating myself, I first discovered the real BD-5 in Popular Science back in high school. Not knowing any better, I immediately decided that I wanted to build one. At the time, I was also messing with r/c gliders, but reality, other interests and responsibilities got in the way. I only got back into r/c planes about 3 years ago, and naturally, one that I wanted was a BD-5.

After some research, I was disappointed to find an absence of any kits. Sure, Hobby Lobby had an electric one at the time but not very scale at all. There were various slope models around, but I wanted a slimer. Even a search of RCU and RCGroups yielded very little, but someone mentioned the 1/4 scale Palmer (http://www.palmerplans.com/products/bd5d.html)!

Finding the description on Palmer's site was very encouraging, Jim Bede himself furnished drawings and the 1/4 prototype fiberglass fuselage on which this plane is based, but at the same time intimidating, for it mentioned having to machine a drive shaft. The price for the set of plans was more than my most expensive plane (plane only) but after a month going back and forth, ordered the plans.

Here are some vitals
Construction balsa, ply and spruce
Wingspan 64.5"
Length 40.6875"
Target weight (dry) 119 oz.
Wing loading 33.38 oz./sq.ft.
Recommended engine K&B .40

Yes, a K&B! The plans are somewhat dated there, along with mention of a Kraft tank, and Carl Goldberg retracts. Addtionally, some of the lettering used to designate part numbers had rubbed off the original, rendering them unintelligible. Both not major show stoppers.

So far I've cut out a majority of fuse formers, and collected a bunch of pictures. Been working on the plane on and off for the last three years. I warn ya, it may take another 3~5 years to complete!

More to follow!

BTW I'd list all of the info I found in my research, but subsequently found this site, summarizing everything. Had I found this in my original search, it would have saved me hours!

http://www.scalebd.com/kits&plans.htm