Old 11-15-2002, 08:41 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Tell me about these kit cutters:

Originally posted by M Gill
Randall,

I can cut a kit more accurately than any laser
Not to knock your work as I've built from your kits and was satisfied with the quality. However, as one who did kit cutting for over five years with band saws, routers, scroll saws, and belt sanders, and now works as an architectural modeler using a laser almost daily, I find this statement pretty hard to believe. A laser is much more accurate than even a really good eyeball and a really steady pair of hands. Not to mention the laser is being guided by a computer program that is ten times more accurate than a wood or metal template.

Having said that, a laser applied to a traditionally designed airplane such as a Ziroli is not using the accuracy of the laser to its full advantage. From the builders stand point I doubt there would be a huge advantage to a laser cut kit over a hand cut kit in such an instance. The advantage of the laser here would be to the cutter rather than the builder. An airplane that is designed specifically to be laser cut will have interlocking features that make it very accurate and easy to build. Those same features would make said kit nearly impossible to hand cut accurately. Just my .02 cents.