RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tell me about these kit cutters:
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2002, 11:05 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default cutters

I vector the plans for Http://www.lazer-works.com and I like lazer cut best. But I will point out one major consideration and that is that the quality of the templates for hand cut or the quality of the vectors for laser cut determines much for the quality of the kit.

Take the way I do it for example. I have built many kits over my 25+ yrs and you notice that a lot of them you get are hand drawn. that means errors no matter how good the designer is you CANNOT get a perfectly symetrical part when drawing by hand. and i am not trashing anyone here just pointing things out in general. now that said if a kit cutter takes a set of plans and makes templates and cuts them out and they match the plans perfectly thats fine but any flaws in the design will also be in the parts. I like to take fuse formers and anything symetrical and draw 1/2 of it and then mirror the part joining it together to have a perfectly symetrical part something you can only do using a cad program. also a lot of "straight lines" arent so straight so using a computer and cad program they will be perfectly straight. in my opinion laser quality is much better than hand cut and if you going for a laser cut kit most will pretty much be equal except possibly wood quality and price. Jesse who I do business with uses only Balsa USA premium quality balsa and personally i think that company has the best balsa but thats my personal opinion. Secondly he only cuts short kits ie all the parts you would cut by hand letting you choose your own sheeting and such which means his kits are the least expensive out there. I have ordered from american and precision and the kits themselves were fine but the wood for the rest was usually the cheapest they could buy in bulk due to warpages etc I have found. So when I gave Jesse a try I was quite pleased with his work and hooked up with him for all my business. There have been a lot of guys on this forum who have done business with him so I will let them speak for themselves.

Joe