RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tell me about these kit cutters:
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2002, 02:30 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default laser

Well Yak Laser cutting DOES make a better fit as you are using a cad program to trace the parts thus you can make the notches a designer draws for stringers spars etc fit perfectly since their hand drawn is off also you can do 1/2 the fuse former and make it symetrical by Mirroring it. Basically you fix all the errors that the designer has made because of the inaccuracy of hand drawing So yes Laser cutting does make the parts fit better because you have to cad draw all the parts so you have something that the laser can use to cut parts its something that cant be donw by hand and have the accuracy. You can take fuse formers from a laser cutter and most will not match the plans exact. Why? cause we fixz all the errors in symetry and the not so perfect circles etc. so there is a BIG difference between l;aser cut and hand cut. the only time it would be the same would be if hand cut parts were first redone in cad and printed out to make templates and I know of a few guys that have done it then had a LASER cut out their templates for them.

Basically a kit is a kit is a kit you will get a more accurate fit from a laser cut kit but like I said if the hand cut kits templates were made from a cad generated part outline they can be the exact same quality as a laser cut kit. also a laser cut kit can be shipped to a customer faster than a hand cut kit as the laser can have everything cut same day order comes in unless other orders in front of a person. and if templates are made to follow exactly the outlines on a plan they wont fix the errors in the plan.

But all in all in these models unless something is way far off most people will not notice the difference so does it really matter which is better? I dont think so but what does matter is each persons preference and I just thought would post the technical ifferences between the two so each person has a more informed decision no matter where you get a kit from.

Just My Opinion

Joe