RCU Forums - View Single Post - breakin in new savage le
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2006, 08:04 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: breakin in new savage le

I really would not touch the shift points. They are set from the factory like Integra stated and I also think they used red loctite. Hold off on the shift points for now. Run a few more tanks through it and do a little more tuning. If you get over anxious and start tweaking too many things, you may get in way over your head before you know it.

Edit - Until you can get a temp gauge, use the spit test. Get the truck hot by doing several high speed passes. Burn about half a tank of gas. With the LE, you always want to tune at 1/2 tank. Pull it in, running, and spit on the head. It should sizzle off in a few seconds. If it does not sizzle, lean it out a little more because it's too cold. If it dissappears instantly, it's way too hot, richen it up. I think you will find it's running too cool.

You want to tune at 1/2 tank because you will find the LE runs pretty bad for the first 1/2 tank then runs really good for the last half, even after you get it broken in and tuned properly. This is because of the 'half tank lean' issue the Savage has. There are posts on here about that issue.