RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 be converted to EP?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Max1965

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 be converted to EP?

Thanks for the post above SAFZERO very good info.

I will admit I know nothing concerning electric flight although I have flown glow and gas off and on since the 70's. So I will need to pick some grey matter from the more "electricfied" on this bb. Some Questions I have:

1. It is said you do not want to discharge your lipo batteries too low during a flight. So how do you know when they are too low? Is there a warning system to let you know?

2. Is it necessary to vent the cowling or will the opening (battery cutouts)in the bulkhead allow the air to move and exit the rear cutouts be enough to keep the batteries/motor cool?

3. I see some controllers have a setup for a program card. What is this?

4. I have read post which say you should not run the motor at full speed for long periods of time......why not? Seems to me if you have the motor in an areobatic type plane you would need full power all the time. Of course I will not need full power on the Cessna.

5. Seems to me there should be a switch which could be used to cutoff power to the lipo batteries until you are ready for a flight. I understand most batteries are connected by Deans plugs and do not use and in-line switch.

I will admit I am a cherry concerning electric flight and my questions may seem like I don't know waht I am doing......well I don't but I want to learn. Inquiring mind you know....