RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 be converted to EP?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:06 PM
esprit model

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 be converted to EP?

Be carefull above 3S or 10V you can not use BEC in your ESC for more than 3 servos.
You have to use separate voltage regulator for receiver/servos

http://www.espritmodel.com/accesories_ultimate_BEC.html

ORIGINAL: SAFZERO

Hi MadMax,

I must say you got guts to convert a plane like the Hangar 9 Cessna to electric as your first EP conversion. I have never converted a plane either, but to be safe, I am not converting the Cessna as the first simply because if I make even one mistake with the battery, motor, wiring, or anything else, the plane will crash. I intend to convert smaller planes to better understand the concepts behind EP conversions, and eventually I will work my way up. That's me. Not saying you have to do the same.

Here are some answers to your questions...

You are right about the voltage cut-off. It is controlled by the controller.
The programming card controls the voltage cut-off, and other things as well like battery type (NiMh, Lithium), Prop brake, timing, and throttle response.

I don't think you need to run the Cessna under full power all the time. According to Steve, the power set up was simply too much power for the plane, and he flew with much less than full power and was airborne for 30 minutes. That's simply amazing for a plane of that size on Lipo's!

And, it's always a good idea to have a master arming switch which you would enable before pre-flight check and flying. Here is a typical set up...

Hope it helps!
SAF
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27591.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	390521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26184.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	390522