RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sullivan Dynatron starter cone removal?
Old 01-21-2006, 01:28 PM
The PIPE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sullivan Dynatron starter cone removal?

Dear Waco:

The PIPE Here once more...and if the aluminum starter cup on your Dynatron is anything like the PLASTIC starter cup on my "base level" Sullivan starter...it's been mine since 1976, and STILL works great...it's very likely screw-threaded, and SHOULD be "unscrewable" in some manner.

The plastic starter cup has a metal nut molded into it...that's how IT threads onto the starter shaft...and since I'm about to get into BIG four stroke engines later this year (already have an RCV 120 SP...a Saito 150, for a Giant Scale Dave Platt Jungmeister planset I've got, will be the next one, for Xmas 2006) I'll be "creating my own" Dynatron starter during this year (with a parts list from Sullivan I made up a few years ago to order the parts with) to prepare for turning those over on my test stand.

One CRITICAL piece of that starter buildup of mine is going to be using a plastic starter cone, Sullivan part number S98251 ...it's around $5.00 for the part, directly from Sullivan..as over many years of watching the Giant Scalers starting their engines with Dynatrons, and watching that "SMOOTHLY-insided" aluminum starter cone spin uselessly around the rubber insert, when trying to start their big "mills", I've figured that using the plastic cone instead...with its THREE SPLINES inside of the cone, providing a "positive drive" method into the rubber insert's outer circumference trio of slots, is going to be a "must-do" for my needs!

Just wondering...why ARE you desirous of removing the aluminum starter cone on your Dynatron in the first place...might you planning to use it in one of the Miller RC "Persuader" starting setups? "Just curious", that's all...

...but I WOULD think that it should be threaded...ask around for more opinions first, before trying to unscrew it, if I'm wrong about that!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!