RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 be converted to EP?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:37 PM
Max1965

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 be converted to EP?

Well the conversion is coming on really well. I had to wait on the batteries but I got them at a very good price....and the packs are made here in the U.S.....a plus for repairs.

The batteries will be blasted by air coming in through the Cessna cowling.......and exiting through the tail of the plane. I had to cut a hole in the rear cockpit bulkhead(the wall behind the seats) and then I cut three 3/4" X 3"' openings in the fiberlass tailcone. The hole are not that noticable because the Stab and the Rudder cover them pretty much. I don't know it I will need more cooling but will find out soon on my first run. I believe the cooling will be great. The Controller is located above and behind the motor on the motor mount so it will also get plenty of air. I am going to install a "Switch" so I can cut the battery power to the motors....easier to power up the motors and safe too. I intend to us a "blade Fuse" as is in Automobiles. You simply remove the fuse to kill the power to the motor.....re-install it to power up the motor. I am looking at one or two other ideas which pilots have suggested for a switch. Someone needs to come up with a switch setup for these hi-powered motors.

No pictures yet...but will take them later. I am taking my time and I must say this is an interesting project.