RCU Forums - View Single Post - best setup speak out!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2006, 12:28 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: best setup speak out!!!

Well, here goes. Not trying to start a war, just my personal opinions.

I've had 6 Vortexes (down to 3), so I may be a little biased. I've also had 1 neme-Q and 2 neme-Q pluses, so I have a comparison there. I have have owned one BOP and flown several others. I have never flow a shotgun or slingshot, but have seen many of them.

Here is why I like the Vortex.

1. The craftsmanship is 2nd to none. I have never seen such a well constructed, straight, and strong quickee.

2. Taking off a Vortex is effortless, you hold full elevator and the plane pulls slowly off the ground. It does not jump up, just a nice shallow glide.

3. The plane is completely neutral in all axis. Any way you bank the plane, it continues its current direction.

4. All of them fly exactly the same. I've used the same program in my computer radio for the last three I have built and they all fly the same (if the balance is the same).

The Neme-Q plus is much better than the original Neme-Q. Where I feel it falls a "hair" short of the vortex is:

1. I don't think the tail needs to be as big as it is. I know Terrence was testing smaller tails, but not sure what he determined.

2. The wing and tail are not potted to the fuse. Minor maybe, but I think potting would be a more optimum design.

3. It flies very good, but IMO, not quite as smooth and neutral in all axis.

4. Take offs are good, but not quite as shallow. Takeoffs are important to me because we fly off of grass and you normally have to jerk the planes off the ground to make sure they do not get caught. Its tough for me to either not give elevator, or push down right after takeoff when flying of tarmac or cement.

5. I have flown both quite a bit, and my best time with a Vortex is a 1:09.01 in Muncie, and my best time with a Neme+ was a high 1:09 that same year (2004).

Here are my comments on the BOP.

1. Weight has always been an issue, many will say it doesn't matter, but just about every BOP I've seen is 4-5 oz heavier than the minimum. (Whereas Vortexes' and Nemes' are about 2 oz heavier than the minimum).

2. The wide point of the BOP is nearly a 1/4" wider than where it could be compared to the rules.

3. The BOP fuse is not nearly as stiff throughout as the Neme or Vortex.

4. I've never been a fan of the tail, no concrete evidence its slower, but I've just never felt that it was optimum.

5. The wing is nearly identical to the Vortex, although I don't believe Lyle uses the Washout that Chuck uses.

6. I've found balance is a little more critical on this plane, if you get it perfect, it flys very neutral, but still not as stable in knife as the Neme or Vortex.

I know Lyle has made some mods to the fuse, including additional carbon, etc.. The info above is based on BOP's prior to this year, I haven't seen a new one, but I know he has made some postive mods.

As to the shotgun / slingshot / Taipan, I don't have a lot of comments since I've never flown one. I know Darrol has done pretty good with them, as well as some of the guys in Colorado and out west. They have posted good times at events, but not sure if they have gone as fast as the Vortex or Neme. I guess I'd like to see Travis, Randy, or some of the other fast guys fly them and comment.

Thats it, didn't mean to tick anyone off. All good planes, and very close. My opinion is, I'm not as good a flyer as some of the top guys and need the best equiptment to be competitive.