RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 be converted to EP?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:43 AM
ElectRick
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 be converted to EP?

That's true.

I just don't see many people incorporating them into their battery harnesses, however. Perhaps it's the issue of not looking all that good sticking out of a fuselage, or having to keep spare fuses, or the additional fuss of wiring in the fuse holder--I don't know. For me, it would be redundant for any of my LiPo powered planes because I always remove the battery pack from them for recharging anyway, so easy access to the battery plug is a must.

Maybe most folks just depend on the ESC to shut down from overheating if too much current is drawn--or burn itself up into an open circuit, whichever comes first. [X(] There would be an advantage to having the fuse on the motor side of the ESC, in that if the fuse opens, it won't shut down the BEC too. Having it on the battery side would kill the radio along with the motor if it blows in flight. You could avoid this by putting in a UBEC or similar device, upstream of the fuse--i.e. right across the battery plug terminals, which is the usual installation method.

Something to consider if you use the ESC's onboard BEC.

Rick