RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 ENGINE ADVICE
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 04:31 PM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MOTOR ADVICE

ORIGINAL: livthemoment

to help out in the useless conversation of engine and motor. By definition a motor is an engine. go to www. dictionary.com type motor.
It is called MOTOR OIL. People who have cars on the brain are Motor Heads. If you watch car shows, at times people will open the crankcase of the motor.
Motor is something that imparts motion like an engine. Think of names of car companies. Ford motor, General Motors. Car shows are also called Motor shows.
ASAP motors- is an engine and transmission repair shop.

You can sub-categorize a motor into electric and combustion(engine) but both are motors by definition and practice.
OK i'm not taking sides & i'm not picking a fight BUT in different countrys the same things are called slightly different names, or to put it another way the words are used differently!

taking your paragraph above for example

i work in what is referred to in the UK as "the Motor trade" but whenever we work on a car its always the "engine" never the Motor, to us Motors are electric motors (windows, wipers seats etc) & are always referred to as such, we use engine oil in our engines & we open up the engine crankcase!

this is also how we call things when it comes to our RC's

its just the way things are said in different cultures & as we'd all like to live in a more peaceful tolerant world we should just accept these differences

as i said in my earlier post
i agree with the "its an engine not a motor" philosophy but i wouldn't call somebody out on it
we all know what the guy meant even if we do use a different name for it

just trying to spread some love