RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why don't all radios have this feature? Add on if you have one.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:19 PM
paulcarnes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why don't all radios have this feature? Add on if you have one.

I guess I'm nobody! Last summer my Riser 100 was spec height when the transmitter battery decided it was on its last cycle and my radio started beeping. The transmitter read 6.7 when I got the glider back on the ground. Control was not good but there was enough to get me down within walking distance. A cut off would have resulted in a lost plane. On the subject of "beeps", my hearing is not the best and even one engine running at the field will prevent me from hearing a warning beep. I wish they would make them a little lower frequency for those of us who don't hear the high notes anymore!

ORIGINAL: spyder0069

I use all JR equipment. Replaced my XP652 computer radios with a new 6102 computer radio. Twice now I have bumped the power switch putting it in my flight box leaving the radio on and once I left it on accidentally while setting up a new plane. Each time resulted in a battery brought down to zero volts. One battery had a cell that went zero. The next seems to be ok after cycling a few times. SOOOO. I don't understand why a computer radio that can show you the battery voltage doesn't power off after the voltage drops to .9v per cell protecting the battery. Nobody is flying when the batts hit 7.2v anyway and even in the cheap 4 channel noncomputer radios they have a beep when they get low so they are capable of it too. Seriously, how was this missed? They have the capability of turning off the tranmitter when you hook the dsc cable up so really they only need the rest of the radio to go into a sleep mode.

Also, I one time had a old futaba fm 6 channel radio (probably a conquest series). Had a 3 position switch for the flaps. Allowed me to have no flaps, half flaps, full flaps. My 6102 has all or nothing. I don't want a dial either. The 3 position gave you an exact setting. We're suppose to move forward aren't we?

Oh yeah, no timer on the 6102 either. [>:]