RCU Forums - View Single Post - Recommend No.2 PARK flyers concern
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Avant-Coureur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recommend No.2 PARK flyers concern

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01

I personally think this is a local issue. Area clubs should be approaching these flyers and educating them or at least suggesting some safe practice. MAAC doesn't "investigate" and doesn't have any power to enforce. The new 2.4Ghz radios may help to ease some of the concern. As for safety, every individual is responsible for their own actions. If they are MAAC members, they should be flying by the rules. Maybe they are already flying safe and have a good thing going............maybe we should join the fun?
Sharpy01: Please don't take any of the following the wrong way - your topic brings up some frustrated feelings on my end.

I am a "Park Flyer" who enjoys this hobby - without a club or MAAC. Up until the end of 2003, I was a member at two area R/C clubs. MAAC membership is a requirement at both clubs.

If an area club "approaches" me while enjoying my hobby, I'll ask them in a very polite manner to leave me alone. I have had my fill of "flying club culture".

Here is quick breakdown of the "local issues" that finally pushed me away from clubs. If it were not for today's electrics I would have exited the hobby.

1) Endless bickering, in-fighting, finger pointing, and personal attacks. (Like what you see here and on RcCanada on a smaller scale)

2) Simple club tasks hi-jacked by politics and personal agenda, which usually translates to more #1.

3) Competitive elitists matched only by their ego's.

4) Bitter members who complain about everything under the sun - but do nothing to help the situation. (never cut the grass, but complain about the field etc.)

5) Constant vocal criticism by a select few, that made flying a living hxll for everyone else just trying to enjoy the day.

6) Control freaks passing volume after volume of rules that serve only to confuse whatever issue they believe needs to be solved.

7) Foul language (the last straw) - enough so I couldn't bring my daughter to either club. (All seven issues solved now that I park fly.)

Until a "MAAC Investigation" can solve the above problems, I would please ask MAAC to leave those of us who choose to park fly out of this mess. Let MAAC police their own backyard and I'll worry about my own concerns. Thanks.