Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

Recommend No.2 PARK flyers concern

Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

Recommend No.2 PARK flyers concern

Old 02-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommend No.2 PARK flyers concern

AB Recommendation No. 2 (pg 11):

"MAAC investigates concerns over park flyers and other aircraft flying in parks and other areas wherethe public could be at risk."

I personally think this is a local issue. Area clubs should be approaching these flyers and educating them or at least suggesting some safe practice. MAAC doesn't "investigate" and doesn't have any power to enforce. The new 2.4Ghz radios may help to ease some of the concern. As for safety, every individual is responsible for their own actions. If they are MAAC members, they should be flying by the rules. Maybe they are already flying safe and have a good thing going............maybe we should join the fun?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recommend No.2 PARK flyers concern

Ok, I confess to being a part time park flyer.

I have to admit that I am concerned when I see park flyers far too close to the 400 series of highways in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).... aside from the obvious visual distraction, it would only take a brief gust of wind to make that visual distraction a true hazard. It's not hard to envision some startled white knuckler swerving to avoid that wingo headed for their windscreen, causing a multi-car pileup. [sm=eek.gif]

This is my greatest fear, beyond the obvious 72MHz park flyers causing me to be at the root cause of an incident, albeit in a less densly populated area.

What to do though? Common sense does not prevail, especially when the only education an individual receives, equates these "toys" to nothing more harmful than a nerf football.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Me too Jim my park is less than 100 paces from my garage. The far side of the park is railway and I walk half way into the park. I always fly with my back to the nearest road and only fly small electrics close in. Like you my radio equipment is newer and the planes are built well. I use the Hobbico frequency checker every time I go and monitor it for several minutes before I attempt to fly. My personal liability coverage would be my only insurance if something were to happen. Each person has to come to grips with the acceptable risk. I also only fly when the kids are in school to reduce the spectator factor.

Dennis
Old 02-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Avant-Coureur

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01

I personally think this is a local issue. Area clubs should be approaching these flyers and educating them or at least suggesting some safe practice. MAAC doesn't "investigate" and doesn't have any power to enforce. The new 2.4Ghz radios may help to ease some of the concern. As for safety, every individual is responsible for their own actions. If they are MAAC members, they should be flying by the rules. Maybe they are already flying safe and have a good thing going............maybe we should join the fun?
Sharpy01: Please don't take any of the following the wrong way - your topic brings up some frustrated feelings on my end.

I am a "Park Flyer" who enjoys this hobby - without a club or MAAC. Up until the end of 2003, I was a member at two area R/C clubs. MAAC membership is a requirement at both clubs.

If an area club "approaches" me while enjoying my hobby, I'll ask them in a very polite manner to leave me alone. I have had my fill of "flying club culture".

Here is quick breakdown of the "local issues" that finally pushed me away from clubs. If it were not for today's electrics I would have exited the hobby.

1) Endless bickering, in-fighting, finger pointing, and personal attacks. (Like what you see here and on RcCanada on a smaller scale)

2) Simple club tasks hi-jacked by politics and personal agenda, which usually translates to more #1.

3) Competitive elitists matched only by their ego's.

4) Bitter members who complain about everything under the sun - but do nothing to help the situation. (never cut the grass, but complain about the field etc.)

5) Constant vocal criticism by a select few, that made flying a living hxll for everyone else just trying to enjoy the day.

6) Control freaks passing volume after volume of rules that serve only to confuse whatever issue they believe needs to be solved.

7) Foul language (the last straw) - enough so I couldn't bring my daughter to either club. (All seven issues solved now that I park fly.)

Until a "MAAC Investigation" can solve the above problems, I would please ask MAAC to leave those of us who choose to park fly out of this mess. Let MAAC police their own backyard and I'll worry about my own concerns. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under those circumstances, I'd be in the park as well.

Actually, I would more likely be starting a new club. I like to hang out and fly with others, but only have experience in a couple of clubs that have little of the politics. There are always a few minor personality clashes once in a while, but I expect that in any group setting.

......as far as Egos? If you have followed much of this, you may have noticed I have little patience for overweight egos

..........and take enjoyment in annoying those egos and controlling types.

Bottom line is you have to have fun and enjoy what you are doing with your leisure time. Do what works for you.

Cheers
Old 02-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Yeah, I've had my fill of club politics in the past, it is an issue, but a different one, and not one of safety (most of the time).

As with most situations, the issue is not with the average park flyer, it's the exception. These fall into either of two categories; the complete newby with no clue about safety issues, and the the arrogant jerk who could care less about the safety (or opinions) of others, as long as they get their thrill (often a little ego stroking going on here).

In my mind, it's the same personality types that ruin the club environment, especially when both personalities are combined in one person.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:39 AM
goldguy

Investigate park flyers.......for what purpose?

Maybe to see how much fun their having without model airplane politics.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:23 AM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

ORIGINAL: goldguy

Investigate park flyers.......for what purpose?

Maybe to see how much fun their having without model airplane politics.
obviously a 'shady group' that must be monitored!!...Ron
Old 03-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Yes, there are some annoying characters attracted to the club environment but, I think often the bad experience stems from failure to acknowledge the "sandbox rules" we all suuposedly learned in public school. Sometimes we are inflexible about adapting our familiar approach to things we have always done the same way, to accomodate the different needs of others.

I know I can admit to some guilt in this area. [&o]

-------------

Park flying is fun, for me it's even more fun when I invite friends to share in that fun ... it's been my experience that as these outings grow, they eventually grow into a club out of sheer necessity to address the needs of the many different personalities involved (especially when the inevitable cliques form and "sandbox rules" get violated). When you experience this, you have witnessed the birth of a new club... []
Old 05-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Luke_Aventino

Does anybody fly at any park in Toronto? I feel like I am the only one! I have seen the Sasquat twice but never a park flyer.
If there is, is there any park that park flyers would get toguether?
I've been flying in Toronto for 2 years now, first at a park in Forrest Hill and now at High park.
I've never had any problems regarding safety. I always make sure to check my plane before taking off, verify if there's any other RC device arround(but never happened)
and if kids approach i ask them to stay behind me. I think is enough no?

Cheers
Luke
Old 05-11-2006, 08:38 PM
byrocat

Luke, I'm pretty sure that most municipalities in Southern Ontario have by-laws on the books that prohibit model airplanes as well as golf practice and a host of other activities that bother people one way or the other.

I'd check with your local municipality or region by-law office and verify whether or not the rule is on the books.

From personal experience, all the parks&Recreation people talk and the grapevine is extremely effective (and we're talking about twenty years ago with the incident that I know about).

Cold Creek aerobatics event got shut down by noise complaints on a weekend, and by the club meeting on Tuesday, the Mississauga P&R people were calling our club's president to get the low-down and HE hadn't heard anything until the Zone Director told him about it.
Cold Creek Conservation Area is about 75 KM from Mississauga.

As Jim said, ther are a few "darn-you-eyes, I'm going to do it" types that wind up ruining everyone else's fun long after they got bored with the hobby.

There's a great big open park at the end of the street, and a smaller one within a stone throw). I'm tempted but then the club field is 4 KM away on the other side of town.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:54 AM
maxcontinuos

This is going to be an increasing issue, there is no doubt about it. In defense of MAAC, all clubs, whether it be a yacht club or flying club or motorcycle club, become political and conflicting personalities are inevitable. One reason why I don't really like the club thing.

I would much prefer to fly on my own rather than at a busy club where I may or may not enjoy the day, depending on what is going on. On the flip side, I see park fliers out there who are going to destroy the fun for everyone else before it even starts. The lack of some common sense combined with no regard to mitigation of risk is astounding. How does one legislate common sense?

I see dogs running in the park, I see kids playing baseball, some launching rockets, throwing a frisbee or a multitude of other possibly dangerous activities. Some of which violate the local bylaws. A responsible modeler going to deserted park on a calm day to spend 20 mins flying a foamie is not going to bring the world to a sudden end. The guy who is at the same park day after day, flying over the same peoples backyards when the park is full, now this guy is going to cause problems and it will only be a matter of time before something happens.

Local hobby shops are selling park fliers at neck breaking speed. Are they educating to purchaser? I don't see it. Responsible park flying is a lot of fun but unfortunately, the human race is pretty stupid and if there is a way to screw it up, we will most certainly find it.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Donovan Dow

Morning All

I find this recommendation by what could be a very small Alberta group confusing and certainly not in character of Albertans as I thought I knew them having been born and raised in Alberta. I thought that Albertans of all Canadians were for fewer regulations. Am I wrong?

Previously a similar small Albertan group made a recommendation that turbines be banned unless they got a waiver. Meaning wot?

Cheers
don dow: of previous
Claresholm
Lethbridge
High River
Calgary
Old 11-17-2006, 03:25 PM
byrocat

I did some checking around on the municipal by-laws for my area (north of TO).

Most ban any form of radio-control in town parks. Newmarket is specifically phrased "no control-line or radio-control airplanes", Concord/Vaughn seems to be the same way (search "Dufferin Reservoir" on RC Canada), and Aurora has nothing specific on the books but requires permits (and proof of insurance) for any use of their parks besides using the playground and walking your dog or yourself.

It really does come down to insurance and covering the risks. MAAC is trying its best to educate its members on how to handle the situation and to be proactive. Towns and cities are making sure that they don't get sued because someone injures someone else with an airplane in one of their parks.

We are always going to have people who don't give a darn or are ignorant (without knowledge, not uncouth).