RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 be converted to EP?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Max1965

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 be converted to EP?

Well this past weekend I finally flew the 182. Nice verrrry nice.
I placed the plane on the ready box up near the runway and waited until the skies were less crowded. Just about everyone came over the look at the plane and I was surprised most had never seen the Hanger 9 model. At any rate we sat around talking and finally one of the fliers ask which motor I had in the plane......A Hacker I told him......he looked surprised as he reconized the name as electric power. "That plane is electric powered"? he said.....Before he had finished speaking all the pilots had gathered round except for two which were still in the air.
Well to make a long story short the plane was a hit........and the trims were spot on the first flight. Way more power then needed but I throttled back to about 1/3rd and cruised. I did a ten minute flight and then brought it in to check the heat on the motor and batteries.........no problem. The 182 weights 16-1/2 lbs(I removed some of the battery rails to save weight) but it lands like a light weight...I nearly ran out of runway. I hit the flaps(after I landed)and the plane came to a stop near the end of the blacktop. Nice thing about Electric is you have complete control of the motor without having to handstart the thing. I really like this setup.