Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Scale Flat Foam Flip 3D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Scale Flat Foam Flip 3D

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 03:53 PM
NCguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scale Flat Foam Flip 3D

mups that is an ingenius solution to the wing flex. I had a bad wing flex on my first 44" ff extra 330 and no one could come up with a light weight solution to the problem. I was considering (2) carbon/alum tubes on the next plane. With your solution I'm not sure I'll need them. By the way, did you find that the aileron's would lock when the wing bent or flexed before you made this mod?
Old 05-02-2004, 05:47 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wing flex can bust your hinges out. It also make the plane unstable in higher wind conditions. I tested the new wing supports today in a 15 MPH wind and it's perfect. The plane is just awesome. I need Depron and i'll be building a few more. Also the Kokam HC 1500's 3s gave me a 20 minute flight today. I couldn't be happier. Errol the plane is the best I've flown by a mile. I actually enjoy it a lot more than my real flip 3d. Thanks for allowing us to use your design. Mike
Old 06-15-2004, 06:32 PM
RCXPLANES
My Feedback: (1)

Hello All,

I just wanted to drop a quick note in here to say first that I think Mups has refined this Wing Support to the point that it is foolproof and very effective. With this method I believe a single wing spar would be plenty good for the 3D Flippers huge wing area. This allows for the plane to be built lighter without the additional LE tube that is currently being used by me.

The next thing I wanted to address is the compleation of the beta Testing and final build plans for the Edge 540T that matches or even slightly outperforms the 3D Flipper. Some great work and pics have been posted by Mark, AKA FNG, on this thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_18...tm.htm#1905507
The flight review is very encouraging. I am working to release plans for the Edge 540T as well as the Original 3D Flipper as soon as mid July, sooner if things come together right.

I am having a tough time getting a response out of Levi at 3D Foamy regarding the schedule of his laser cutter for the cutting of the V3D Flipper 20% airfoil parts to build the prototype. I know he has had a busy schedule and some email problems recently so I hope those clear up for him soon. I have a sample of the laser cut 3D Flipper V2 kit here and it is quite impressive. Makes me not want to hand cut the V3 parts at all. I guess I got spoiled. Levi, give me a shout please.

Thats all for now. Keep the prop pointed up and the funometer pegged.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:13 AM
RCXPLANES

Hello All,

Sorry for the long time between replies. I have been very busy globe trotting with Forsythe Racing and our Champ Car effort.

Sometimes the wheels of progress turn slowly. Next week sometime I hope to post the ability to download the Flipper V2 and Edge 540 T plans from my web site. I know it has been quite a while since it has been updated.

I would also like to tell everyone that I have just received the laser cut parts for the 3D Flipper V3 with the all foam and carbon tube airfoil 20% wing. I should be able to start construction next week. I cant wait ti weigh and fly this version ASAP.

The plans are quite complicated so if all works out well I hope to offer a laser cut kit in early fall this year. Cost is TBA.

Thanks to everyone for all of your support and patence.

Bud
Old 08-25-2004, 11:19 AM
mups53

Keep us poted. I'd like to try one of your new designs. Thanks, Mike
Old 11-18-2004, 03:10 AM
RCXPLANES

Wow,
It has been a long summer. Had to go make a living in this crazy chosen career of mine. But I am home for a bit and have been up to some new tricks. I have 6 different designs now, some completely untested and one that is said to be quite good. Plans will be available for these on my web site for download in a few days as it is long overdue for a makeover. Some free and some for a small charge.

I got the all foam built up 20% airfoil 3D Flipper done and pics of the finished prototype on ths thread;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_23...tm.htm#2354561

It should Maiden tomorrow if all goes right and as usual I will post several pics of my somewhat unorthodox build for all to see.

Give it a look and let me know what you think.

Bud

Hello all,
The FREE download plans in RC-Xplanes ZIP files have all been updated with a Rev1 in their title to include both A0 (841x1189mm) and Arch E (34"x44") PDF size formats. These can be printed on your plotter or at Kinkos and other locations.

Don't foreget to leave me feedback or drop me an email

Enjoy

Bud @ http://www.rcxplanes.com
Old 01-25-2005, 11:21 PM
mups53

Hey guys it's been a while I just built 3 new ones for friends and I thought you might like to see them. I've been experimenting with different building methods. This newest one with the extensive airbrushing is made with Ultrafoam from TBM. It's pretty good stuff and a lot cheaper than Depron. Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49407.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	220711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73108.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	220712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72225.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	220713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77907.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	220714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96499.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	220715  
Old 01-26-2005, 01:37 AM
RCXPLANES

Mike,

I am glad to see you are still enjoying flying the 3D Flipper. Great Job on the paint schemes. Can I use one of them for the vinyl graphics design center? The Mups Special maybe?

I am up to my eyeballs in Depron right now. I would like to get some more info on the Ultrafoam product. It would be an interesting option for those that would like it.

Lots of new developments on this end. We are burning the midnight oil and working flat out, getting ready for the North West Hobby Expo. Should be a lot of fun.

Here is a picture of the new YAK 54

Bud
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67749.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	220765  
Old 01-26-2005, 07:03 AM
mups53

Hey Bud the Flipper is alive and doing well. I've got to do the Yak next. Really sharp and I'll bet it flys great.
The foam is available at the site:http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/Foam.htm
Gene is a cool guy and it's really cheap stuff. It's a little softer than depron but oddly it's also stronger. It's also a lot easier to paint. He sells 47" pieces and they yield a whole flipper 3D on 1 sheet. Gene also makes a CF spar that is better than anything I have seen before, It's built up and strong and fits into the foam better.
By all means use my designs for vinyl, I'm flattered. If you have your vinyl designs ready to sell than I need some now. Where do I go to get it?
Old 01-26-2005, 01:20 PM
RCXPLANES

Hi Mike,
I will check out the Troy Built site. Thanks for the info.

The rcxplanes web site has a whole vinyl graphics section. There is even a *.bmp you can download for each of the three current planes in white or gray foam format and use your MS paint program to specify colors or even create your own scheme if you are good with MS Paint. Everything is in stock for 9 colors. We cut them in house as needed or custom ordered. There are two designs for the Flipper that are similar and one each for the YAK and the Edge.

If you want something special we are happy to do it if you can wait a little longer for it as compared to the pre designed ones on the web site. Just remember, the more vinyl you want the heavier the plane gets. The YAK as shown was 14.6 oz RTF. We use a 1.5 mill intermediate grade vinyl that forms well and is the lightest available intermediate grade. Cost is much more reasonable than the Premium stuff too.

Thanks,

Bud