Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Shockflyer Acc??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:03 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shockflyer Acc??????

top ply pads stop the struts from getting loose
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81842.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	119803  
Old 04-07-2004, 08:26 PM
whackinski
My Feedback: (2)

Excellent Wind, These photos will help immensely. I checked with H-L today, my Nippy and Li-Poly's are on the way. With a little luck I hope to get that delivery tomorrow, if so I will start building this weekend. I have been reviewing the instructions and have a question. I have the Edge like yours, On slide 8 in the instructions there is a difference in measurement for the edge to the extra. What does that measurement refer too? Are those marks for wing location? Also I see you centered the Aluminums tube, did you make that cut before or after you built the fuse?
I have tons of Q's, my local hobby shop guy claims this is a tough plane to build. His buddy has built 5 and says it still takes him approx 6 hours. I have been warned it is easy to F*** up when building this kit. ALSO!!! can I fly my Nippy setup with a 3 cell Lipoly?(340mAh) I bought 2 cell packs but My local Hobby guy bought 3 cell packs. (i'm just tying to keep up with the Jone's)

Here is a shot of a Hobby Electronics sub micro next to a Hitec 55. Check out the size difference. I'll report back with the weight soon
I will update with some construction photos soon
Seb

Name:	Jg14368.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	119833  
Old 04-07-2004, 08:57 PM
whackinski

Zibob, I would think the Hitec 55's would be a better chioce. I will be trying the Hobby Electronics HE 490 servo on my shocky I just posted a comparison photo. I got them from Bob at Balsapr.com.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:44 PM
wind junkie

ORIGINAL: whackinski

I have been reviewing the instructions and have a question. I have the Edge like yours, On slide 8 in the instructions there is a difference in measurement for the edge to the extra. What does that measurement refer too? Are those marks for wing location? Also I see you centered the Aluminums tube, did you make that cut before or after you built the fuse? ...

ALSO!!! can I fly my Nippy setup with a 3 cell Lipoly?(340mAh) I bought 2 cell packs but My local Hobby guy bought 3 cell packs. (i'm just tying to keep up with the Jone's)
Seb,

Slide 8 wants you to mark a line 5 mm in front of the seam for the two fuse pieces. This line will be where the rear edge of the "window" in the wing aligns. They should have put some verbage to say "look ahead to next slide".

I made the cuts before I assembled the fuse and test fit the tube in each fuse piece. Fit isn't really critical as epoxy will fill voids. Don't use too much of course.

I flew my nippy 0808 on 3 cells once. It's really difficult not to hit the ceiling on big loops with this config and nearly impossible for me to do nice low rollers near the floor with 3 cells, as throttle is way too touchy. I would reserve this only for outdoors, or maybe to get better waterfalls. My waterfalls with this plane really suck compared with my e-sledge. Not really sure why.

If I get some time, I'll move the motor back, and move the battery forward to try to get the mass closer to the CG.

Take your time and build it right. It flys smooth and "big" in small spaces and will make you smile when you get it right.

Neat little servo. Must be cheaper than the Cirrus, I bet.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:01 PM
whackinski

Wind the servos are $24 bucks
what prop are you using on the shocky?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:23 PM
wind junkie

I'm using the APC 10x4.7 slow flyer.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:29 PM
whackinski

where did you get the pushrod guides?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:31 PM
wind junkie

guides are small pieces of styrofoam and junk credit card
Old 04-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Cliffw

ORIGINAL: zibobman

hi,

well what about the AXI brushless on the shocky, no one is talking abt it lately,is that because its out of stock?

zibobman
The AXI motors work great and most all of the ones I have sold have gone out with the AXI 2208/24 or the AXI 2280/26. There is no issue with stock on these as of 4/8.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:50 PM
whackinski

Hey there Wind, I finally got the last thing I need to build my Shocky the jeti speed controller. The Nippy motor came with very little documentation. The speed controller came with less. I have been reading about soft start ( disableing it) and adjustable voltage cutoff set points, where do I get the how to's? also, There is no wiring diagram or schematic. I dont want to hook it all up wrong and toast it. My real concern is which lug is red , black, or yellow, on the Nippy Im' assuming yellow is the center lug. Another Q Are JST connectors OK? I have a bunch of male and female JST's already. I have been marking the neg side with a sharpee as an added form of reverse polarity protection. Still another Question. How long are the leads from your S.C. to your Nippy? should I add wire or keep the stock lenght?

Building my nippy this Weekend!! I'm Psyched!!

Whack!!
Old 04-13-2004, 10:04 PM
fire_medic2001

I just flew my shock flyer for the first time today. There was quite a bit of wind outside but I couldnt wait any longer. I have mine set up with a AXI brushless and a Jeti 18 amp ECS. I had a 3 cell lipoly and it was too much power so I put a 2 cell 1500 mah on it and was very happy with the power. I am hoping that it will be a little more fun when the wind is calm.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:31 PM
wind junkie

The speed controller can be wired any way you like to the motor without hurting anything. The only issue is it may run backwards. If it does, just reverse any two (of the 3) wires and it will run the other way.

I wouldn't recommend changing any lengths of wire from the SC to the motor or RX. I put an extension in my RX throttle lead once, and that gave the RX really bad jitters. Extra SC wire I think would also be bad to the motor. My stock Jeti wires are about 3 or 4 inches long. Extra wire in general is not a good thing, so try to keep every run short. No need to cut the stock lengths, but don't add extensions if you can help it.

I don't know if the Jeti has a programmable soft start. I use a Jeti SC on my e-sledge with the Nippy, and it's fine the way it is. I noticed with my Phoenix 10 as supplied, it was way too slow on the throttle up, so I disabled the soft start as per the Castle Creations directions, and it was much better.

Your JST connectors are good. Lots of folks are using them with no trouble around here.

That's great news Fire Medic. Welcome to the club.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:27 AM
whackinski

Thanks again Wind, I will post some construction photos when I start the project. I have not picked up the aluminum tube yet, I was considering the technique for installing a brushless described on Hobby-Lobby's website. They reccomend using a 3/32" plywood disk mounted in the fuselage and screwing the motor to it. I will decide when I get to the local Hobby shop, depending on which he has in stock, the K&S tubing or the lite ply. If he has both I will grab both. I can imagine I will need several repairs on this plane as it will be my 3D trainer aircraft.

Medic, Thanks for your info. I am setting up my shocky up like WIND did with a Nippy 0808 and an 8 amp speed controller. One of my buddy's has a shocky and is waiting to see how mine flys before he buys his gear. The word is your setup is the top shelf. After a long full throttle run does the motor or speed control feel Hot?
Can you post some photos?

Whack!

When spelling doesn't count
Old 04-14-2004, 11:58 AM
wind junkie

Thanks again Wind, I will post some construction photos when I start the project. I have not picked up the aluminum tube yet, I was considering the technique for installing a brushless described on Hobby-Lobby's website. They reccomend using a 3/32" plywood disk mounted in the fuselage and screwing the motor to it. I will decide when I get to the local Hobby shop, depending on which he has in stock, the K&S tubing or the lite ply. If he has both I will grab both. I can imagine I will need several repairs on this plane as it will be my 3D trainer aircraft.
The Hobby Lobby ply disc is the "firewall type mount" I mentioned before. It makes use of the black aluminum "top hat" mount supplied with the motor that you should have. I believe it's heavier and not as sturdy as the tube mount, when you consider all the parts, but you be the judge. I think you'll find that any torsional or impact loads are better absorbed with the tube mount.

The ply plate contacts the foam in 4 lines that run radially outward from the fuse center. The tube contacts the foam in 4 longer lines that run down the length of the fuse. Ideally, the tube could be extended into the wing as the wing/fuse joint is a weak spot (you'll find a lot of creases popping up that end here as you fly and crash a little. I made my tube mount only 4 inches or so to save weight.

The ply mount is definitely quicker and easier to install, and an obvious choice for Hobby Lobby to recommend. The shockies fix so quickly with foam safe CA even really bad front end impacts are no big deal if you get all the pieces. It really helps to have a friend hold the plane together while you apply the glue though. There will come a day when my plane gets so "flexy" in the front that it's time for a new one.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:06 PM
whackinski

I think the tube is the way to go. It a few minuets before 11pm and I just got in from another 17 hour day. I brought my ESC, Nippy, and Li-Po's to work this morning because I didn't have any soldering tools at home. I melted everything together but didn't bring a Receiver or TX to test the motor out. First thing in the door I plugged the ESC into a receiver flipped on my 8103 and spun the motor IT IS SO COOOOOOOOOOOOOL. This is my first brushless set up and I am really impressed with its operation and performance. I drilled out a 10.4.7 GWS prop and fished a rubber band through the motor holes. I then played with the throttle spinning it at full RPM and getting the prop to rotate at really slow speeds. I like the tiny high pitch noise it makes when you plug a battery in.

The torque is surprisingly noticeable. I can see how the tube idea will be beneficial over the wood disk. The larger contact point of the tube spreads the !QUOT!contact patch!QUOT! which efficiently distributes the load of the torque to the airframe. I had a Physics exam tonight, can you tell?
Here is tonights question; how do you correctly rout the rubberband that holds the prop on?
I'll snap a photo of my setup you have to see my goofy rubberband job

Whack!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:44 PM
whackinski

I forgot how to post photos It's deffinately time to sleep
Old 04-15-2004, 12:31 PM
wind junkie

Seb,

I posted this thread for my E-sledge that shows the nippy rubber band prop saver:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14...tm.htm#1487876

These photos show what I did with the #64 rubber band:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfi...78/Wu61484.jpg
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfi...78/Pn36686.jpg

Note, I did not drill out the APC prop for this. I used a small piece of brass tube to make up the spacer difference between the motor shaft and one of the stock APC slow flyer spacers. This way there is some room for the prop to move when it hits something. One of the above pics shows the prop snapped to the side so you can see the hub.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:25 PM
whackinski

Hey wind, I blew off work today to get the tube setup ready. I ran to 3 hobby shops and could not find thin wall 7/16!QUOT! aluminum tube. Finally I went to Home Depot and found 1/2!QUOT! ID thick wall tubing just over 7/16!QUOT! OD. I tried to Swedge a flange with a Special tool which didn't work, So I rheemed the tubing out to fit the Nippster. I am using a JB Weld type of polymer epoxy to fit the !QUOT!snug!QUOT! flange. I'll drill and tap it tomorrow. Saturday will be the day I assemble my shocky since I now have absolutely everything I need.

What would this post be without a few more questions!!!
Is there a special tool for removing and replacing the 4mm E clips?
Is it imperative to remove the hub from the windings?
to clarify, is there only 1 #64 rubber band both ends fished through?
What size bronze tubing are you using for your prop shaft adapter?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:27 PM
wind junkie

What would this post be without a few more questions!!!
Is there a special tool for removing and replacing the 4mm E clips?
Is it imperative to remove the hub from the windings?
to clarify, is there only 1 #64 rubber band both ends fished through?
What size bronze tubing are you using for your prop shaft adapter?
I just used a small screwdriver for the e-clip. Mine is magnetic so the club doesn't usually jump far, if at all.

I can't imagine threading the rubber band without removing the windings. Let me know if you try and succeed. It's pretty simple to remove and replace. Just don't lose the e-clip. The rubber band seems to last forever, and you don't need to re-thread it every time to replace a prop if you use the old one to carefully thread the new one through the loops.

Only 1 #64 rubber band, correct.

Not really sure on the size of the tube, but it is brass, not bronze. The OD is 0.186" -- also a K&S part. It might be 3/16" telescoping tubing. You seem to be a machinst type. I'm sure you can get something to fit.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:50 PM
thekid

i know this motor talk is already pretty much finished, but i think the brushless astro 010 is a great alternative, it might be more expesive than most mottors, but it's an awsome invesment.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:55 PM
wind junkie

How light is the Astro? Have never heard of one on a light plane (6.5 oz, RTF, with battery)
Old 04-16-2004, 08:10 AM
whackinski

I am really digging this electric thing. Now that I have the LiPo charger I will be doing more electric projects FOR SURE!!!!
I will have to look into the Astro motors. I know they have been around for awhile. I am looking for more power for my FLITTERB.

So Wind, before I hit the sack last night I fished a #64 rubberband through the motor holes and banded the prop on like you have shown me in your pictures. It took a little ingenuity but It seems top be less archaic than the my first banding attempt. My aluminum motor mount is looking real good, I forgot how to post photos (and I'm not home right now) or I would show you my handywork.
Making the tube took some effort but the weight benefit is outstanding.

Kid are you using ASTRO MOTORS right now? how about posting some photos.

I figured the photo thing out, this shot is my first attempt at banding a prop onto the Nippy

Name:	Xv62926.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	122844  
Old 04-17-2004, 09:18 PM
whackinski

I spent the day building my Shocky. It took 8 hours total time but I was out of 5 minuet epoxy so I had to use 30 minuet. I went a bit light on the hardener and the epoxy is still a bit soft. Here is a shot of the plane.

Whacky!

Name:	Zx71266.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	123413  
Old 04-17-2004, 10:53 PM
wind junkie

Lookin real good Seb. I see you've found a good building stand. Negotiating all the struts and landing gear can be a challenge when setting up all the small servos and push rods f you don't have a stand like that.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:53 AM
whackinski

Thanks Dude, it was kind of fun to put together. I have been building all sorts of kits for more than 20 years. When I first started back in high school my dream was to be able to fly aerobatics in my living room or basement. This plane brings me one step closer.

I messed up the rubber gromet for the landing gear. I was thinking about using GOOP for this area. I can also wrap it up with some carbon fiber stran material or use probond.
Did you run out of glue when you were building your ShockFlyer? Luckily I had some rubber cement on the shelf.
I didn't do a good job hinging the surfaces either. the alerons are not flush with the wing. I will look fo a clear 2 sided tape or better way to hinge the surfaces. I doubt my job will effect the way it flies.
I didn't use enough hardener in the epoxy and it is still a bit soft, I may have to encapselate that in some more epoxy. I think I can afford the overall weight gain due to the very light motor tube and those really tiny servos I used for the tailfeathers.

Once my epoxy hardens I will give her a test fly. I'll keep you posted!
By the way!!! what does the subject of this stream mean. Shockflyer Acc??? I'm just curious

Whack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.