Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Mini Funtana Gear Box Problems

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Mini Funtana Gear Box Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 11:17 AM
SukhoiKid
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Funtana Gear Box Problems

Well the first flight of my Mini Funtana the motor slip out of the gear box a little and got the gear in the gear box all screwed up. Well we went to the hobby store to buy another and we think we got the same one. It was the one for the 400 brushless motor we have and the gear in the gearbox is slipping out and the prop is getting loose fromt he back. Now the first flight with the first gearbox we should have put locktite on the screws but we forgot to. We did on the second one. And now the second gearbox is all screwed up. (Wish I didnt have to have a gear box for this motor)
Old 01-02-2005, 11:32 AM
RC4

Default RE: Mini Funtana Gear Box Problems

Yeah, gearboxes in high power applications need to be setup near perfect in order to last. You might want to consider looking at the new Himax outrunner motors. They come with a stick mount that should work with the Mini Funtana, and for around $60, you'll never have to worry about a gearbox again.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:41 AM
SukhoiKid
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks for the info. I look at them trying to find one that will match the motor I have now. Just wish I could take this other motor back. I might look into one and buy one some day if this gear box screws up. I am going to order one more gearbox that is the exact one for the airplane and try it one more time.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:25 PM
tagger4

I also need a new gear box for my MF, where are you buying yours ?

Tom
Old 01-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Jason W M
My Feedback: (6)

When properly set up (per the manual ), the Mini Funtana gearbox works excellent. In fact, it has proven to out-last and out-perform similar designs from GWS and Himaxx which simply can not handle the power the Park 400 motors can deliver. This gearbox was engineered specifically to handle up to 230 watts of power and we have dozens and dozens of flights on them (including bent shafts and broken props due to testing) without any problems. Be patient and set the gear mesh properly - the end result is a quiet, consistent and reliable geared set up that only heavier and more expensive outrunners can match in performance.

The correct gearbox for the MF is not currently in stock, but should be available very soon (Shafts and gears are however IN STOCK - see below). The part number youre looking for will be:

EFLM221 - Gearbox (V2),6.6:1

This is the entire assembled gearbox including shaft, gear, bearings, box, etc.

If youd like to order just the gear and shaft, use this part number - YES, these are in stock:

EFLM222 - Spur Gear (V2),66T with Shaft

You can order these parts through your favorite E-flite dealer, or off our web site (just type the above part numbers into the "search" bar found on the site).

Good luck!

Jason Merkle
E-flite Product Manager
Horizon Hobby
http://www.horizonhobby.com
Old 01-02-2005, 05:51 PM
tagger4

Thanks Jason, all I need is the gear, I'll order two from your web site.

Tom
Old 01-03-2005, 09:11 PM
furyflyer01

Well........I used the stock gearbox, (4200 Kv E-Flight Park 400 motor, Phoenix 25 SC, TP 2100 MAh 3S Li-Po) set the mesh exactly per instructions, and it didn't last through three waterfalls. Stripped out the spur gear. So, got another one and the pinion spun out. Not too happy w/ either result!

I just installed an MPI HiMaxx metal gearbox w/ built in heatsink and it is SOOO smooth! Runs quieter, less vibration and is Very tough. The motor also stays MUCH cooler. I would reccomend anyone who has probs w/ stock GB to get this one, (just make sure you buy the shaft for GWS or E-Flight GB's, $1.25) NO WAY can the motor move away from the spur gear, very nicely made!

By the way..........this plane is AWESOME! Blenders are sooooooo cool, parachutes, walls, harriers, you pretty much name it and it does it! Don't listen to anyone who say this plane stinks. It tracks well, very smooth for everyday flying like a pattern plane, then comes alive when you want it to! Make sure you laterally balance it, especially if it drops a wing in elevator.

Scott
Old 01-04-2005, 03:10 AM
blue ice

furyflyer01,
Which gear box did you get from MPI? I havent even flown mine yet and the spur gear stripped out on the bench. I know H9 is gonna say it was not setup right but I have never had any problems with the GWS gearboxes on any of my foamies. You also say to get the shaft for it. I should be able to use my original one out of my E-Flite box, right?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Liv2Fly

Jason,

I have the gearbox and motor from my Tribute, and the gearbox itself looks identical to the one supplied in the MF. Are they the same gearboxes.

THANX,
Jeff
Old 01-04-2005, 02:44 PM
James VanHook
My Feedback: (1)

No theyt arent the same gearboxes. The spur gears are different. I have done alot of switching around with gearboxes on mine and have found the Himaxx with a 62T spur and 12T pinion and APC11x4.7 prop makes great power, long run times, and no problem witht the motor getting hot. Try it out.

By the way the Himaxx gearbox lets you adjust the gearratios, and comes with 3 different ratios, and the pinions have setscrewws in them.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:14 PM
dklassen

James,

How many amps are you pulling with your setup?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:35 PM
furyflyer01

I have the HiMaxx gearbox that is for 20 mm brushless motors, it's blue in color. (You can get this at www.AeroMicro.com for $24.95) The motor slides into the housing, which is also a heatsink. (that just works excellent!!! motor now stays at least 20 deg cooler) It comes w/ three different gear ratios, however, I have found the 6.6:1 w/ the E-Flight 12x6 prop THE BEST setup! (Order more 66T spur gears for around $5 apiece) The GWS shaft you have will work, but I'd get a few extra HiMax for only $3.00 apiece. 3x60 mm threaded.
I also tried an APC 11x7 for more ground clearance, but it just didn't climb out the same.

I checked my amp draw w/ an amp clamp and was around 18-20 amps depending on charge, with that particular setup. Trust me, just as Jason Merkle says, the 12x6 @ 6.6:1 is the best bet for powering this puppy. Mine now does AWESOME waterfalls, in fact, just about as many as you like in a row...........way cool! I have Futaba 3108 servos (17 oz ins) w/ HiTec arms that I made longer with their adjustable arms, which gives me Lots of throw, probably around 60 deg up and down.

This plane is sooooo much fun, much like my 40 size. Elevators are killer, you will need lots of throw!

Scott
Old 01-04-2005, 11:36 PM
dribbe

The gearbox/housing is the same (V1-V2). Some very minor mold revisions that don't affect much.
The gear/shaft assembly is completely different in V2. It is able to handle a lot more power (watts).
The parts can be interchanged. Just use the V2 Gear for high power (PK400) applications.

As Jason said, It handles more power than many of the other gearboxes in this size range.

If you like, you can put a small amount of 5-minute epoxy in the groove when you assemble the two parts of the gearbox housing (stick mount part). This will make the assembly a bit stiffer and quieter.

David
Horizon Hobby Development

ORIGINAL: Liv2Fly

Jason,

I have the gearbox and motor from my Tribute, and the gearbox itself looks identical to the one supplied in the MF. Are they the same gearboxes.

THANX,
Jeff
Old 01-05-2005, 05:15 PM
duanej_7

Dribbe,

My stock gearbox cracked and I orderd the 6.6:1 box that was in stock. Are you saying I need to replace the gear before installing it in the mf? If so, can I just replace the whole shaft with gear? Is this easier? I am new to this electric thing. How do you press the pinion gears you want on the motor shafts?

Thanks...

dj
Old 01-05-2005, 05:24 PM
dribbe

You can use the housing, but the older v1 gear will not hold up in the MF. You need the V2 Gear.
Either gearbox housing will work.

The mesh should not be tight, or loose. If you hold one gear still, you should be able to move the other gear a tiny amount. A very very small amount of play.

David

ORIGINAL: duanej_7

Dribbe,

My stock gearbox cracked and I orderd the 6.6:1 box that was in stock. Are you saying I need to replace the gear before installing it in the mf? If so, can I just replace the whole shaft with gear? Is this easier? I am new to this electric thing. How do you press the pinion gears you want on the motor shafts?

Thanks...

dj
Old 01-05-2005, 05:28 PM
duanej_7

Thanks for the quick response. How should I replace the gear when the new gearbox comes in? The mesh you describe sounds like what I had before I realized my casing was cracked.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:26 PM
RC4

duanej,

I would recommend just getting the Himax aluminum gearbox housing. Here are my reasons why:

1) Its aluminum, it won't crack like plastic.
2) Its also a heat sink, so your motor will run cooler.
3) Because of the design, it fits several different motors and planes easily.
4) You don't have to press the pinions on or buy a gear puller to remove them.
Both the pinion and the spur gear have set screws that make them easily replaceable.
5) You never have to worry about the motor coming loose. The 'squeeze' design keeps things straight.

Anyway, I haven't seen the GB that comes with the Mini Funtana, so I can't say how good the design is. I do have the Himax GB, though, and I know I'll never have to buy another one for any 20mm motor.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:07 PM
dribbe

DJ,

If you buy a replacement V1 gearbox, set the V1 gear/shaft subassembly aside, and replace it with a V2 gear/shaft for use in the MF.

The V1 gear/shaft is OK for a pk370 (tribute,etc) , but not for the pk400!

Be cautious using other gearboxes of this size, we tested many of them, and they will not last long with the pk400 power. We specifically redesign the parts and materials of the new gear/shaft to work at this power level (which has only recently been available in this size package).

The included gearbox has been EXTENSIVELY tested, and performs very well.

A few tips.
-Do not overtighten the propellor. It engages via hex, and has a lock nut. It does not need to be 'wrenched on'

-Light grease after a flight or two of run-in is optional for the gears. They hold up very well either way.

-It is best pre-assemble the motor adaptor plate before attaching the motor. Make sure you use a combination of screws and washers to hold the plate to the gearbox that allows very near full depth thread engagement, but does not stick through and interfere with the motor.

-Turn any speed control motor breaking off when using the gearbox.

David
Old 01-05-2005, 09:51 PM
RC4

Are you questioning the ability of the Himax GB to handle the power of a pk400? I know you work for Horizon and you have to promote their products, but lets be realistic. There are plenty of third party products that would be considered 'upgrades' to most of the standard hardware that comes with any new plane. The stock Eflite GB may work 'fine' if its setup correctly, but in order for you guys to keep the price low and make a profit, obviously you have to make compromises.

Does the Eflite GB mount to the face of the motor?
Is the Eflite GB made of plastic?

If the answers to these questions are yes, then you will constantly be re-tightening screws to avoid chewing up spur gears.

The Himax GB is metal, and it wraps around the engine to keep it secure. There is no adaptor plate to come loose from the housing. Trust me, it can handle all the power of a pk400 and more. When you want to keep a high power, vibrating motor from coming loose, the more contact it makes with the housing the better. Plastic gearboxes that mount to the face make very little contact in comparison.

You can talk about 'extensive testing' all you want, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to design a gearbox. Just look at the design differences in the two, and make the choice based on common sense.

P.S. - I have no affiliation with Himax Motors or the company that makes them. I also have nothing against Horizon Hobby - they make some great products and I will continue to purchase their planes.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:54 AM
furyflyer01

I agree with RC4.........I went with the HiMax GB and couldn't be happier! It handles the power of the Park 400 no problem! The design is FAR better than the stock E-Flight plastic GB. Plus, it keeps the motor way cooler. (Checked it w/ my infared thermo in both configurations, at least 20 deg cooler w/ HiMax) I went through 2 spur gears and 2 pinions within 4 or 5 flights w/ the stock GB........

IMO.......The press fit of the stock pinion stinks......mine spun out right away, and I was only hovering around 1/2 throttle. Put on another one, did the same thing! Also, the plastic used for the stock spur gear is too soft! Can't handle serious 3D.......When you are hovering 3 feet off the deck, last thing you want to be worried about is the GB!

I love Horizon planes and their customer service is excellent, however, the plastic GB leaves a little to be desired. I of course will continue to purchase their planes, but upgrades ARE necessary sometimes, especially here!

My 2 cents,

Scott
Old 01-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Jason W M

While we do respect your opinions on the subject of gearboxes, I can assure you both that the stock gearbox included with the Mini Funtana works perfectly. Take a look at this month's Fly RC - there's a photo of our demo Mini Funtana hovering 3 feet off the deck indoors at the recent JR indoor festival in Colombus, OH in front of hundreds of spectators. That same airplane, Park 400 motor and stock gearbox has been flown dozens of times (including another half dozen times this past weekend) and continues to perform flawlessly. At the same time, many report failures with GWS and Himaxx gearboxes on other forums - I suppose your mileage may vary based on experience, but please dont generalize that the stock gearbox is not adequate when it has proven superior in design and function to many other gearboxes previously available in their class.

We are not saying that all other gearboxes will not work - just that we tested many of them and none were able to perform as reliably as the "V2" design E-flite gearbox when it is properly installed.

Scott - in regard to your pinions, were you using the pinion included with the gearbox? If so and that pinion spun loose, it was not properly installed. It requires a significant amount of force and the proper tools to press fit this included pinion.

Many times upgrades are not neccessary if you use the included components properly I hover my MF with confidence, sometimes inches of the deck, and the last thing on my mind is the gearbox

Jason Merkle
E-flite Product Manager
Horizon Hobby
http://www.horizonhobby.com
Old 01-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Culverson
My Feedback: (14)

Whats the difference on the V2 gearbox set up, I saw it listed on HH's website..
Old 01-06-2005, 02:25 PM
RC4

Quote: "superior in design and funtion to many other gearboxes previously available in their class"
Quote: "we tested many of them and none were able to perform as reliably as the "V2" design"

The Himax aluminum offset gearbox is a completely different design and obviously not in the same class as the GWS and V2..

You're accusing us of generalizing when its you that won't talk specific details. Why don't you tell us exactly which gearboxes you tested in this little R&D scenario?
Old 01-06-2005, 02:39 PM
dribbe

Guys, relax!
We have not tested EVERY gearbox out there (and will not).
We tested a lot of them, and none of the ones we tested lasted in the MF.
I will not name them, since some mfg may take offence. (The products are not bad products, they are just products that were developed before this level of power was common, or they were designed for less power) Many of them do work on the PK370.
We can only report what we have tested extensively, and does work.

The gearbox housing is not the main issue. The housings rarely fail in normal use. E-Flite's gearbox is made of virgin polycarbonate, which is among the strongest, toughest, and heat resistent plastics. Properly installed, you will NOT need to retighten screws!

The gear/shaft is the issue. Many of the exisiting designs are not able to handle the torque, and gear mesh loads generated by a pk400 (at temperature). A lot of work was done to the design to make this possible. (There are several failure modes of various gear shaft assemblies. Shaft movement relative to gear, tooth failure, etc.)

We are not naming products that do not work, and I am NOTquestioning any specific product. Please take my words as they are, there is no need to read between the lines.
We are only making clear that our product was extensively tested and works well, and that several existing products (Including our V1 gear/shaft) will not work at these power levels.
Modelers are always free to run what they like, and are welcome to do so. We would rather avoid our customers having headaches.

We are happy to see you post your experiences with the Himax gearbox.

Best Regards,
David
Old 01-06-2005, 03:09 PM
RC4

Okay, I'm relaxed now.

I'd just like to say one more thing and then I'll be done with this subject. We have gotten a little off topic here and its partly my fault. So, I'd like to bring us back to the original issue.

The original issue is that at least a few people have had bad experiences with the V2 gearbox already. While these might be isolated incidences, don't discount them. Millions of products have hit the market after undergoing "extensive testing" and have later been recalled. Why? Because no amount of in-house testing is ever going to account for every possibility. Don't be afraid to admit that some improvements can be made with the V2 gearbox. Instead of defending the product's superiority everytime someone makes a complaint or comparison. Listen to the comments and evaluate if there is a way to improve your product.

For example, I keep hearing the comments "when installed properly" and "gear mesh is very important." Well, if the product is too difficult for the average person to install per manufacturer's recommendations, then the product needs to be improved. Now, I don't know if this is the case. But, keep in mind that you are selling these things to the general public. The easier you make things to install, the less complaints you will have about product failures.

Best regards!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.