Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
 My Eflite Ultimate 3D so far >

My Eflite Ultimate 3D so far

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

My Eflite Ultimate 3D so far

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Eflite Ultimate 3D so far

Well my ultimate is ready and waiting for battery pack and better weather. It is equiped with a E flite Park 370 4100 kv brushless motor in the stock gear box, a Phoenix 25 speed control, Hitec 555 receiver and 4 gws Naro standard servos. I ventured from the directions a little bit with my servo mounting as I was hearing people complain of problems with getting enough throw and the stock servo tape not holding up. So I cut out holes and mounted the servos in the wings and fuselage. I also did the same with the receiver to reduce some of the drag. For the aileron linkages I tossed out the stock horns and made some that went into the edge of the airlerons so that I got better action out of the ailerons and that they both move at the same time and with the same amount of movement. I tried every different configuration with the stock horns but could not get the ailerons to work correctly.

Here are a few pics

Ps Yes I did mix up installing some of the decals and got them mixed around but I added some reinforcment to the landing gear as it was squatting terribly just sitting there and I had not flown it yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99724.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	219252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25135.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	219253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34104.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	219254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48720.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	219255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82513.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	219256  
Old 01-23-2005, 10:04 AM

Default RE: My Eflite Ultimate 3D so far

Keeping the landing gears attached is probably the most difficult thing. If you just follow the instructions that came with the plane, they will break off with a hard landing. I finally ended up grooving the wood block that holds the gears to get a little gear wires a little more flush, and attached the landing gear with fiberglass and epoxy. Just a friendly tip your landing gears start to fall off. After I did that, they stayed put.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:55 AM

Ahh i'm starting to enjoy my Ulti now. It took a while to get used to the way it handles but now it's quite a breeze. Starting to get the harriers locked in nicely. Please check for me if your motor gets hot after flying Rat1? Mine gets rather hot and it's bothering me. I use the same motor and Gear Box setup with a 11X4.7 APC prop and 3S1P 910mah Kokam pack with micro deans all round. Got a TMM 18A Esc which seems to be very happy. I can't figure if these motors are supposed to get hot or not.

Name:	Wu59561.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	219940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48470.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	219941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32362.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	219942  
Old 01-24-2005, 09:46 AM

Well I have not had any probs with the landing gear really. They do bend a bit on hard landings with the stock wheels, but I slammed it in the other day and they just bent flat, but are still well attached to the fuse. I did add some extra Kevlar thread though when I assembled it. I also found that changing out the stock, super slick wheels for some MPI wheels helps a lot. The stock wheels were so slick they would let the gear bow out on any landing and even when just sitting on a table. With the new foam wrapped wheels the prop never touches and the gear don’t spread when just sitting there. Besides I think the white foam wrapped wheels look better, and they are only $4. I also ditched the wheel pants. They wouldn’t stay in place and got rid of the wanna be wheel collars. I simply bent the axles up a bit to keep the wheels on.

FWIW, I wish I had mounted the rudder and elevator servos on the CG or very close since I had a heck of a time getting mine not to be tail heavy, seriously tail heavy. My TP 3S 1320 li-po hangs about 25% of the way off the leading edge of the center cabane strut to get it balanced well and still needed a bit of nose weight.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:01 PM

I am still trying to figure out what battery I need to get.

Oh mine balances out almost perfectly as it sits without the battery so I should have no problems. Just put the battery on the balance point and I am set.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:01 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Here are some pics of my Ulitmate. I just finished it tonight, I decided to repaint it. I used Krylon SHortcuts and got the Sean Tucker 1-800-Collect graphics from www.rcskydiving.com. He sells graphics packages he has the Oracle set, Jim Leroys bulldog and the 1-800-Collect. Check it out.

Scott

Name:	Yw68328.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	221078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75731.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	221079  
Old 01-27-2005, 04:48 PM

i just built my bip but its been too cold to fly it yet, i took the gear off to save w8 id love some tips that i should know b4 my 1st flight if u dont mind
Old 01-28-2005, 10:00 AM

Rat1 I'd run a 3S 1300mah or so personally. I know few folks are flying with 3S 800mah though to save weight, but I like the 20 minute flight times I get with the TP 3S 1320mah I have. Besides it takes an hour to charge the battery again no matter the size so longer flight times are a plus in my book.

bizmaki I would suggest setting it a bit nose heavy for your first flight. I found the suggested CG to be extremely tail heavy. To the point that if I tried to turn the tail would fall right into a hover very quickly. I added some nose weight and moved my battery forward about 3/4" now it flies much better and still hovers very nicely.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:30 PM
My Feedback: (15)

I am just about to build this Ultimate, so really appreciate all the photos and hints. I was into electrics 16 years ago but gave up as power back then was too skimpy. Excited about the Ultimate, hope to learn 3D and fly in my large yard. Am sure I will have questions, so thanks in advance! Does anyone have experience with the EFlite ESC---Is it OK? Also bought their 370 brushless motor, under $50.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:50 AM
My Feedback: (27)

"Does anyone have experience with the EFlite ESC---Is it OK? Also bought their 370 brushless motor, under $50."

I picked one up the other day and put it on my Fancy Foam Edge

It does not have all the programable features as the Castle Creations controllers
just brake on or off , But it does perform great
also the pigtail connectors are part of the circuit board and you may have to
make some extensions to your motor -they are however supplied with the controller
Old 02-04-2005, 08:04 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Hey Rat1 our set ups are almost the same, I have
Eflite Ultimate
Phoenix 25 ESC
Eflite Brushless 400
Gws all the way around
Electrifly 1500mah 3cell Lipo
The battery is sort of heavy but the guy I bought it from said it has the power to do anything regardless,, I haven't even flown it yet I am suppose to receive my crystal in from TOWER for my receiver today so maybe I will be impressed with it,,
I was going to go with the Hitec receiver but figured I wasn't going to go over 200 yards at the most away from me,,,
Old 02-04-2005, 12:12 PM

I now have a JR610UL Rx in my Eflite Ulty. With the GWS 6 ch I could nto fly it, the glitching was so bad. I tried everything even replacing the GWS Rx with a new unit to no avail. The best range check I got with the GWS Rx was about 5’. The Rx had been moved as far from everything as possible. No more GWS Rx’s for me. The GWS servos are okay, but I want longer servo arms and can’t get them. I plan to make some longer arms though, by joining 2 of them. My Ulty needs more throw.

Running a TP 3s 1320mah li-po mine may be a bit heavy, but it fly's well. I even cut the power down by going from an APC 11x7 SF prop to an APC 11x4.7 SF on my HiMaxx 2812/0650. Still has more than enough power to jump out of a hover and flight times exceed 20 minutes now, were about 15 with the 11x7.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:13 PM

I'm just moving up to the Ultimate after flying a Hobby Zone Challenger for about a year now. Its seems very tail heavy, so I'll take the suggestion of Wht Bronco and move the batter pack forward a bit. It seems to fly slow, but I'm not sure if its me or if I need to be set up differently. Currently using:
Park 370 brushless
Phoenix 25
12X 6 prop
TP 3s 1320mah li-po
I've seen other posts with different sizes of props being discussed. Why would I want one vs the other?
This is very wierd to fly compared to the Callenger, but I am a novice with this thing.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:14 PM

which blue bird servos would you guys recommend? lightflightrc has a good deal for servos and battery. Not sure how small servos you need on this thing. 6 gram, 9 gram, or 13 gram servos?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:25 PM

Blue Bird 371 servos were strongly recommended to me by a fellow who flies the Ultimate REALLY well 3D, tons of experience. The 306 is faster and lighter, but has inadequate torque, in his opinion. I did not buy the Jeti ESC he liked, so I hope the Eflite ESC works as well. Incidentally, this expert tried the Tensor and did not like it as well as the Ulty.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Id have to agree with the above. I dont have a ultimate, but Ive managed to strip two 306's. Both times they were on the ailerons. Not sure what caused it. Possibly rough landings or something.

Now I use the 371's on ailerons, and havent had a problem since. I still use the 306's on the rudder and elevator.
Bluebird servos are great servos. Much better than the BlueArrow ones.

I recently purchased two 303's which are only 3.6g a piece. They work great. They even center properly, which is a big problem with some other super tiny servos. The only other one that seems to work well is the Cirrus servos, but you'll pay big money for them.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:59 PM

almost done painting mine, ill post pics when its ready
Old 02-07-2005, 07:31 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Well guys I flew it sunday in the front yard,(which is a big front yard 200x200 yards), and I must say that I have a Extra 300, a UCANDO, FLoat plane, I have flown Composite-ARFS etcetcetc, and this Ultimate is the most fun I have had in awhile, I tossed it and got it trimmed out and started immediatly cutting up, I only have right now 20% or so of throws not even close to 3D throws and I could hover it all day, I got it about 2 foot from the ground and it felt great hovering, the battery lasted about 3 5minute flights, and I can't wait till this afternoon I am going to try and touch the rudder, but anyway I am impressed, and lastly the wind was gusting hard my last flight and I got behind some trees and the lost depth preception and the plane was atleast 400 yards away, it was so far away I couldn't really tell what it was doing and the GWS receiver done fine, so I would reccomend it to anyone,someone said that they hated it but maybe they got a lemon mine done great, you can fly it as far as you can tell what it is doing...
Old 02-08-2005, 08:54 AM
My Feedback: (19)

Hey jungurley I was looking to buy a tensor or ultimate and i think im going to go with the ultimate. I just wanted to ask you on your setup. I want to use 3cell 1500 kodam packs also. Im not to sure on what esc to buy so i guess ill go with the same one you have. The eflight brushless motor you have inside is that new one for 50 bucks right?? Im looking to get almost the same setup as you just with hitec servos and reciver. I just wanted to know how it flys outside. If you have a video that would be nice, i already saw the one on RCU. Is it to heavy with the 3 cell battery?
Was that 35 min flight times?? Do you take her down for a break to cool off inbetween flights?? Thanks.
- Jeff
Old 02-11-2005, 10:22 PM

How does the stock motor work on this one? I am thinking of using 3S-700 mah batterie with the stock motor. Would I be better with another batterie?

Thanks

LeBlanc
Old 02-12-2005, 12:53 AM

I just readed the review the is here on RCU about the ultimate. He is using a 3S-1320 TP batterie pack, with a 370 5400kv engine, with an pheonix 10?!? Is it just a typo or he's he actually using the pheonix 10.
My setup (still thinking of it):

370 5400kv
pheonix 10
li-po 3s-1320 TP
HS-50's (hs-55 for aileron (don't have an extra hs-50))
stock prop with the kit
hitec mini micro receiver (smallest i know)

Just wondering also if the pheonix 10 will still work with that engine?

Thanks

LeBlanc
Old 02-12-2005, 05:08 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Rat1 -

The aileron linkage as recommended with the Ulti is probably the least favored method of hooking up this connection. With a little scrap 1/16" birch ply, a modification can be easily made. It's easier to show the photo rather than a long discertation......so check out the photo below. I used hot glue on everything.......works great but if you ever want to take out your servos to put in to another project......it pulls foam when removing.

This will make the ailerons function perfectly - just as they are supposed to! I'm not sure why H9 suggests this connection the way they do but go figure. It's right in there I suppose with the garbage motor they include in the kit as well.........

I used the following set up on mine and had unlimited performance and flight times around 18 to 20 minutes.

Himax 2015-4100
Phoenix 25 ESC
TP 3-cell 1320mAh
All Hitec HS-55 servos

I have since gotten away from the foamies and moved on to balsa built up planes. Not that there is anything wrong with foamies.........just that the balsa built planes fly more like a glow plane.....and I like that.

Good luck!

Name:	Wt59396.jpg
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	228221  
Old 02-14-2005, 11:32 AM

Like Rat1 in an earlier message, I am having trouble mounting the servos on the fuselage and getting enough throw. Guess I will recess them into the fuse also. Anyone else have such problems? Using BlueBird 371 servos with pretty long arms. Fuse and tape are quite thick.