Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Official GP Reflection Build Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Official GP Reflection Build Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 05:37 PM
cosmic
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official GP Reflection Build Thread!

bdtracing, I don't know your cash flow ,but a 400xt for $20.00 from hobby lobby and a $35.00 18 amp cc thunderbird speed controller is good deal... Darn near what you'd pay for a brushed setup..
Old 01-26-2006, 05:54 PM
lr55lr60

Should i hing the alerons with tape or the hinge system required?? which works better? Which one is more reliable? which one has the most control throw deflection??
Old 01-26-2006, 08:40 PM
WGRoper

I tried boiling my plastics a bit when I got home this evening. I think it helps. I boiled the tree with the control horns on it, just for about 30 secs or so. I tested the plastic after it cooled to see if it broke at a 90 degree bend. The first try it did, much like before boiling, so I boiled it again. This time it's a bit more pliable. I managed to clip one of the control horns on the elevator hinge tube with no drama. When I tried that Monday, the control horn broke.

I picked up the Turmoil at my LHS this afternoon too. I guess they overbought and are trying to get rid of them, had them on sale for $29.99. Must have had at least 50 of the various flatout planes. So, if you are in the NW Atlanta area and need one of these, go to HobbyTown USA in Kennesaw. I'm sure the plastics in the Turmoil kit I got is of the same brittleness as the Reflection, but if boiling works.... otherwise, I've got a new set coming, hopefully in February from GP.

Can't wait to get this sucker in the air.

-Greg
Old 02-02-2006, 08:06 AM
WGRoper

First flights were yesterday afternoon, couldn't ask for a calmer day. Man, R/C shouldn't be this much fun! I only wish I had four or five more LiPo packs so I could keep flying.

The biggest problem I've had is where the landing gear pass through the bottom wing doesn't hold up well when landing on grass. After three landings, the holes were worn out and the landing gear was basically floating in the wing. I tried CAing the support blocks to the carbon LE, but it didn't hold. At a buddy's suggestion, I wrapped the support block and LE with thread and soak it with CA. I expect that will take care of it.

Now I just need to fine tune the balance so it'll torque roll properly. Loops and hammerheads are insane with this plane. Mine came out a little on the heavy side at 10.7 oz with the Electrifly 640mah pack. I've got a TP pack that's a little lighter, so it might be around 10.4 or so.

Now I need to get the Turmoil built....

-Greg
Old 02-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Fisher

Glad to hear that things are working out for you. I completed my build and am ready to fly but it has been well below zero for the past 2 weeks. I am waiting for it to warm up a tad so that the plastic parts do not explode on my first landing.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Fisher

Got a package at the Post Office yesterday. Turned out to be a brand new Reflection Kit from GP customer service. They had sent me replacement hinge clips after mine all broke on installation. When I began replacing them I realized that I was having to tear up the ailerons quite a bit to get the old clips out. Sent a quick e-mail thanking GP customer service for sending the clips and let them know that I was not sure I could replace the clips without shredding the ailerons and left it at that. Then bam I get a brand new kit. What great service. Thanks GP. I am now a loyal customer.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:00 PM
AirNerd

ORIGINAL: WGRoper

First flights were yesterday afternoon, couldn't ask for a calmer day. Man, R/C shouldn't be this much fun! I only wish I had four or five more LiPo packs so I could keep flying.

The biggest problem I've had is where the landing gear pass through the bottom wing doesn't hold up well when landing on grass. After three landings, the holes were worn out and the landing gear was basically floating in the wing. I tried CAing the support blocks to the carbon LE, but it didn't hold. At a buddy's suggestion, I wrapped the support block and LE with thread and soak it with CA. I expect that will take care of it.

Now I just need to fine tune the balance so it'll torque roll properly. Loops and hammerheads are insane with this plane. Mine came out a little on the heavy side at 10.7 oz with the Electrifly 640mah pack. I've got a TP pack that's a little lighter, so it might be around 10.4 or so.

Now I need to get the Turmoil built....

-Greg
Hey there WG...I CAed string from the poit where the LG rod goes thru the wing of one side to the opposite wheel and this really stiffens it up I will see if I can get a pick on here but used to RCG

OHHHH just fond the upload button...here you go!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34593.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	404565  
Old 02-08-2006, 09:41 PM
WGRoper

That looks like a good idea. The CF rods flex quite a bit on landing, that should work out quite well.

Thanks for the tip!

-Greg
Old 02-09-2006, 12:09 AM
AirNerd

Yea mine started to droop and was getting worse so one of the other flyers at my indoor place did this on his.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Fisher

Finally got my Reflection into the air for the first time last weekend. Now I know just how stupid one has to be to get the ailerons reversed. After crash landing into a snow pile I hot glued the landing gear back into place and reversed the aileron servo. Put it back into the air and she flew great. I have never flown a 4 channel plane before and had no problem keeping her in the air. Will certainly take a while to master all the possibilities. AUW was just about 10.8 oz. with a 640 mah battery and rimfire motor. A little heavy but not bad for a first build.

For a first time flat foam build and a first time 4 channel plane I would say it has been a good experience.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:16 PM
AirNerd

ORIGINAL: Fisher

Finally got my Reflection into the air for the first time last weekend. Now I know just how stupid one has to be to get the ailerons reversed. After crash landing into a snow pile I hot glued the landing gear back into place and reversed the aileron servo. Put it back into the air and she flew great. I have never flown a 4 channel plane before and had no problem keeping her in the air. Will certainly take a while to master all the possibilities. AUW was just about 10.8 oz. with a 640 mah battery and rimfire motor. A little heavy but not bad for a first build.

For a first time flat foam build and a first time 4 channel plane I would say it has been a good experience.

Shoot that is an awsome all up weight. Glad you like it...its only gonna get better too!

Sorry to here about the incedent but glad you got her fixed.

Here is my latest Reflection pic...I can catch it now.

Name:	Da83142.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	412937  
Old 02-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Fisher

Where on earth are you flying at in that photo? I would kill to have access to a facility like that.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:18 PM
AirNerd

Its called ...the BTC (Buisness and Tecnology College) they have this great big "hall" tha is 450 feet long 125 feet wide adn 40 feet tall, Iit is SOOOO sweet if you are ever in KS look up the Kc flying Circuits.
http://www.kcflyingcircuits.com/
$5 dollar landing fee club member or not!
ORIGINAL: Fisher

Where on earth are you flying at in that photo? I would kill to have access to a facility like that.

Name:	Wu61581.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	415624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64993.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	415625