Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Mountain Models E-Tana Pictures

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Mountain Models E-Tana Pictures

Old 09-10-2005, 10:20 AM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mountain Models E-Tana Pictures

I finished building the E-Tana from Mountain Models. As always Doug was very responsive on any questions I had. Here are the specs:

44 inch wing
418 square inches
28 oz AUW
AXI 2808/24 with TP 3S 2100

I have not flown it yet, I don't yet have the right prop for it, also I like to stare at it for about a week before flying. I think this is going to fly great, the wing loading is only 10 oz / sq ft. and it feels really light. I do have a question, about the wheel pants, they add an once to the plane, and look good, but do they make a difference aerodynamically?

Here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34453.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	322164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70077.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	322165  
Old 09-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Zagiflyer576

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mountain Models E-Tana Pictures

looks sweet
wow, those pants weigh an ounce?! take em off, ull have just that much more thrust out of your power system. they are mainly just for looks, they do very little for the aerodynamics, if anything...

get that prop so we can see some flying pics!
Old 09-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Ian.W

spats DO make difference in aerodynamics. they reduce drag over the wheels, make a larger side area in KE and produce a small amount of lift. i had no spats on my EF yak 54 for ages, put them on and WOW, totally different.....no coupling more rudder power....lots better.

but for 1oz, its quite a lot on a smaller foamy, but on a 28oz machine, keep em on [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-19-2005, 07:51 PM
lwatson

Just wanted to give a flight report. I have about 8 flights on the etana. Very nice flying airplane. It flies smooth, Beautiful tracking, knife edge, loops, etc. If you are going to put a firewall mounted motor in it, be sure and get the new heavier duty motor mount from Doug. It uses an 1/8 inch firewall.

I would also like to see a little more vertical performance out of it. I can just hover on 7/8th throttle. Not enough for a vertical pull out. I have been doing some experimenting with props, but I think I need to boost the battery. I am going to try an Appogee 2480. Does anyone make a 3000?

The plane floats in for a dead stick landing, it really doesn't feel the weight.

Larry
Old 09-19-2005, 11:17 PM
RickC2009
My Feedback: (12)

Larry,
I got to see the Edge 540 fly this past weekend at the Neat fair and was very impressed with it performance. I couldn't believe the power it had with the Hacker A30.
I think you might be better off spending the money on the Hacker motor than a new heavier battery. The Hacker will have more power than the AXI and will be less money than the battery.
Just my thoughts!
Rickc
Old 09-23-2005, 03:31 PM
lwatson

Rick,

Thanks for the comment. That is actually my plan "B" if the battery doesn't work. I am not sure what Hacker A30 I would need. Any suggestions for a 30oz plane with a 3c 2480?

Larry
Old 09-24-2005, 10:43 AM
RickC2009
My Feedback: (12)

Hacker A30 16M would work great with 11X5 prop.
Rickc
Old 01-11-2009, 02:06 PM
micboy

Hi... Guys

I need some help..... I had an etana that waited 2 years since I decided to build it and fly it.... yesterday was the test flight.....weather was not that good.... but I still decided to give it a try... ANY Way.... the plane took off very nicely and needed few clicks to trim.... but I have a question... do you know a good COG point for good 3D flying mine is still set at 4" as recommended but throws are set to full..... Any help is much appreciated

Thanks
Michael