Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Parkzone Typhoon - I need help!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Parkzone Typhoon - I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 12:58 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone Typhoon - I need help!

OK, here is my problem:

I own a Parkflyers Edge 540T. I'm learning how to hover. So far, I can do an elevator and can do harriers all over the field at just a few feet off the ground without crashing. Hovering is a different thing.... I can hold the Edge on a hover for about 5 seconds and then it just falls off -- so I still have to learn how to do this well. The Edge TX is a simple one -- only HI rates, no exponential adjustments.

The Parkzone Typhoon is a different thing. I can't even do an elevator (go high, stop motor, give full elevator and have the plane come down slowly as if going down on an elevator). I can't do a harrier either. When I start these maneuvers, the Typhoon becomes very unstable, left wing drops and starts spinning. Giving right rudder helps a little, but can't keep it doing these simple maneuvers. I tried with HI and LO rates and still can't do any of it. It's a little more manageable at LO rates.

Since I can do these maneuvers well with the Edge, I'm beginning to think I don't have the Typhoon balanced or set up properly. From what I've learned on these forums, learning how to hover is a three step process: Learn to do an elevator well, then learn to do a harrier by giving it more power to get nose up and steer plane with the rudder, then learn to hover by giving more power to get plane vertically into a hover using mostly elevator/rudder controls to keep it vertically.

Any hints as to what may be wrong with my Typhoon (or my method) will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:32 PM
MKMotorsport

Default RE: Parkzone Typhoon - I need help!

The Typhoon is a heavy plane. Are you using the stock nimh or lipo? I've yet to see video of the Typhoon doing a rock solid hover (stock setup)... Even though it is marketed as a 3D plane... I think the Ty would be a hard first plane to learn to hover. A much lighter profile type plane would probably hover much easier. I have a Ty as well but only use it for practicing general pattern type aerobatics. I want to learn to 3D as well, but i think the Ty is probably not a good plane to learn on, i'd love to hear what others think... and if someone has a video of them hovering the Ty in a rock solid hover, post it up no offense to the folks at PZ, but even their product advertising video on their site shows some pretty lame attempts at solid 3D flight..
Old 12-17-2005, 08:01 PM
rbushman3

hey jmir, the aileron control was key to learning to hover for me. like hovering a heli, it is way more difficult to learn to hover if the heli is facing you or if the tail rotor is not adjusted right and the heli starts to spin a little everytime you take off. same thing goes for an airplane, you need the canopy facing you at all times, very very important. the airplane is gonna want to spin because of the rotating prop so your gonna have to hold a little right aileron to counteract that.

think of it like a heli, whose tail rotor is a little slow and you have to hold right yaw to keep it from spinning. the key is to watch the canopy and when you see it start to spin to the left, adjust it back with right aileron. or if it starts rotating to the right, let off on holding right aileron till it facing you again. you should almost never have to give it left aileron to hold the plane in a stable hover. an airplane in a hover is like a heli with no tail rotor, essentially if you think about it. holding a little right aileron is your tail rotor.

The elevator, rudder, and throttle part just kinda came very naturally to me once i was able to learn the aileron control part. hope it helps. now if i could get the rolling harrier thing to work. also, flyingcirkus.com has a 3d university that covers hovering i believe. worth checking out for sure.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:18 PM
YNOT

Typhoon is a PIG!

Do for basic aerobatics and it will hover, however its not 3D.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:16 AM
sluggo15

I'm not very good but my typhoon will hover at about 3/4 throttle w stock batt and fly vertical out of it. It can even hover w the smalller aerobatic prop but soon the batt goes weak.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:27 PM
tuwood

I have a Typhoon with the stock setup & it certainly is not a 3D plane. :-)
At first I absolutely hated this plane because I kept stripping Servo's out every time I tried high rates. I eventually started running it in low rates only & put the aerobatic prop on it and I fell back in love with it.
It is extremely forgiving with just about any oops while doing aerobatics & I've crashed the crap out of it and it was only about 30 bucks to fix. (gotta love that)

Sorry I couldn't help with 3D advice.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:03 AM
jmir

MKmotorsport,

Thanks for the advise. I will try your suggestions next time I go out to fly.
I do realize it is heavier than the Edge 540 and maybe that's one of the reasons I've had problems doing 3D with it while I can do better with the Edge.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:06 AM
jmir

Moganmanff,

Thanks for the comments and advise. I did a bit better last time I was out, but I did crash it. Flew too close to the ground and not enough room to recover. I cracked the firewall, so had to order a new one.

I think it is just going to take some practice. Been thinking about purchasing a flatout 3D plane (rxcplanes.com) and learn with it then transfer the knowledge to the Typhoon.

Everyone says is like riding a backcycle. Hard at first, but once you learn is no big deal. I sure hope so!

Thanks,

Jmir
Old 12-19-2005, 11:53 PM
VT BARNSTORMER
My Feedback: (2)

My local Hobby Shop lent me a Typhoon to tryout, not bad for a out of the box ARF, (BUT NOT MY FIRST CHOICE) But you have invested the money in a Typhoon You don't need to spend more money on a Flatout and gear to get it going . You can learn to hover with your Typhoon if you want. Yes It is heavy but it will fly out of a hover vertical.
Balance is very important for hovering check left and right and mark your balance front to back. Start by modifying it, Cut a new slot and move the receiver back or up out of the way of the battery. You can move the battery back in the receiver's place. Move just a little at a time and check your balance mark each time you move the battery back. You will see it don't fall out of a hover so easy and harriers better . Start with a harrier and add more power and elevator to get the nose start up and just clime out slowly use aileron to stop the tork role. Do this over and over and clime out slower each time, soon you will be able to just stop and hover. If you can get the lipo battery and charger for it it will give you a stronger clime out when you want to.

Yes it will be easer to learn to hover on a small foamy but my point is that you can learn to hover with a Typhoon STOCK !
Old 12-20-2005, 07:00 AM
jmir

VT BARNSTORMER

Thanks for the suggestions and reassurance as to being able to learn how to hover with the Typhoon.
I use a Thunder Power battery which is longer than the stock battery and fits all the way to the back. I've got plenty of power. I could experiment with some weights to the back of the plane at small increments.
I can check CG and measure the changes as I go along when adding weight to the back. But, how do you check to make sure the wings are balanced?
What's frustating is that I can do several 3D maneuvers with my Edge 540, but can't really do a single one with the Typhoon. That's why I'm beginning to think that my Typhoon may need some adjusting.
Thanks again for your comments. I appreciate all the help.

Old 12-20-2005, 08:59 AM
hroachen

The Typhoon will 3D but nowhere near as well as a flat foamy. One thing you might want to try is some stall strips along the leading edges of the wing. You might tape some small triangle stock along the leading edges to help the wing stall more easily. That might help with the wing rocking.

Another thing to consider is that the gear from the Typhoon would all transplant into a flat foamy easily...