Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Memphis EAC 3D Competition Live!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Memphis EAC 3D Competition Live!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 11:25 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Memphis EAC 3D Competition Live!

Greg, those are great pics!....which I could save the pics off the wrcc site. Thanks!

Im kinda disappointed that RCuniverse didnt make a bigger appearance at the event. This was one of the biggest events of the year, and drew in some of the best pilots in the US....should have had main-stream coverage. Im hoping sooner or later that someone will post videos of the flights. Its a shame all the RCuniverse folks arent going to see Jason Shulman's Aeroace flight, AC's smokin Edge, or Chitty's pantsdance, Mark Leseburg's finals flight. I had to leave before the finals, so I didnt get to see them either.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bryan,

Many of these top events are loaded with politics so I tend to just try to enjoy what I can and stay away from all the squabbles. The 2006 EAC had many squabbles. Both of my pilots are in the upcoming ETOC and we haven't even sponsored the event so I hope that quiets a few mouths that think event-sponsored pilots are treated with preference.

I will have the top 10 videos to post soon. We decided it was easier for Devin's Dad to just let me borrow the camera and let me edit and render the video into .wmv files like I do for reviews. I'll have more photos too. I heard that Blaine Austin will be selling a DVD on the event in a week or so.

I'm still having problems placing the top 10 finishers. Here is my latest correction.

1st - Mark Leseberg Jr. - Team JR
2nd - Josh Glavin - Team Hitec
3rd - Devin McGrath - Team FMA
4th - Jeremy Chin - Team Hell
5th - Jeff Pfeifer - Team FMA/Team RC Groups
6th - Chip Hyde
7th - ?
8th - Ryan Archer
9th - Jason Danhakl
10th - ?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:47 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

What are the vids that you are posting? I really wantto see Jason Shulman's flight as well as Chitty Chitty Fire Guy hotpants, Ryan Archer's flights and Leseberg's final flight.

50%
Old 03-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Greg Covey

I finally got the top 10 finishers.

6th - Chip Hyde
7th - Ryan Maurey
8th - Ryan Archer
9th - Jason Danhakl
10th -Brandon Chitty
Old 03-15-2006, 02:48 PM
bdavison

Obviously there were some squabbles going on in the background or something with the sponsors. RCGroups had the event wrapped up, which they did a good job, but who gave them exclusive rights to the event? Sure they were a sponsor, but so was RCUniverse. There should have been an RCUniverse booth there too. Something there stinks. I dont get it. It just seems like with all the RCgroups stuff going on, there should have been some RCUniverse flag waving too. I was really hoping to see the after-report coverage from RCUniverse. They've done so well in the past with events like this, posting the scoring, commentary and videos of all the flights. Then this one....well it got tanked....doesnt make sense.

Well, I did my part...I waved (snicker) that RCUniverse logo all over that place. They probably slicked over my flight with the RCUniverse plane with some pilot interview or something or if they did broadcast it....hehehehehe....nothing like getting your competitor to flash your logo to all their members....ROFL

RCU rocks!

Greg, do you have the placement below 10th place?

Old 03-15-2006, 05:48 PM
StaggerBee
My Feedback: (6)

Guys Me and blaine put this event together and I can tell you that RCU was more than welcome to attend and cover the event!! RCG was not onboard untill 1 week before the event.

There was no politics that I was aware of and Blaine is sopnsored by RCG so I doubt ther was any there....
But I can promise you that No one had or will have Exculsive rights to our event Unless they want to pay for the whole thing!!!

We work very hard to make sure that EVERYONE has fun from the spectators to the sponsors, I feel that is what sets us apart from the other events, We are not there to make any money "this year the club turned down a donation in order to have the same prize money we did last year"
Every thing we took in went to the freestyle prize money.

Also I dont think you will find another event with the amount of open flying that we have....

If you look at some of the screen shots from the rcg cameras you will see the rcu banner dead center of the view, If the "squabble" was that bad I am sure the camera woud have been moved..

Buddy
Old 03-15-2006, 06:34 PM
50%plane

6th - Chip Hyde - Team Chip Hyde
7th - Ryan Maurey
8th - Ryan Archer - Team Chip Hyde
9th - Jason Danhakl
10th -Brandon Chitty - Team LIPO Safety

Here's a slightly updated list.

50%
Old 03-15-2006, 07:55 PM
bdavison

I agree with you Staggerbee, I didnt see ANY politics there, the way he made it sound was as though there was some background stuff going on.. I just dont understand why there wasnt a BIG RCUniverse thing there. By Greg's account, there was some background stuff going on that prevented it, but your saying thats not the case. What happened then?
I wanna know why the RCUniverse crowd didnt jump at the opportunity to cover this event. This was HUGE...The biggest coolest indoor fly-in and Freestyle Competition in this region, with top notch judges, incredible facility, and pilots from every skill level, and it was organized very well. Competition was hot, pilots were on fire (sometimes literally, sorry chitty).

Ive been here a long time, enjoying RCUniverse...but them not "representin" at this event was a bummer. Like I said I was expecting to come back on here and see a full commentary with pics, video of the flights, scoring info like they did for ETOC, X-games, XFC, World Micro Heli Cup....nothin...not one single event review.

I figured well maybe they went to JR Challenge instead...but alas nothing on that either.
What gives?

Ill be there next year for sure. Wouldnt miss it for anything. That was "Extreme"...kick *** competition. Most fun Ive had flying airplanes in a long time. It rocked!!!!

Old 03-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Greg Covey

I agree with with Buddy on the RCU thing. It was a choice by RCU not to be there in force. RCU will dominate coverage at the ETOC by choice. Often, this is a location thing as RCU is mostly based in NY, NJ, and Conn. RCG is based down South in Texas and Tenn., so it makes sense for them to have coverage in Memphis. One media cannot dominate all the shows simply by the cost to do so.

My comment was more about this issues with the on-again, off-again, final round using the same plane. While we thought it was a good idea to level the playing field, others did not. Further, some members in the crowd were heard saying that the FMA pilots did well because they were a platinum sponsor. I just shrug it off to ignorance.

At ETOC, they are also trying to level the playing field by introducing a first round pattern circuit to help hold this new generation of young 3D pilots at bay. Again, I think this is a good approach and my pilots see it as just another challenge. Other pilots have backed out of the competition.

50%,

Love the Team LIPO Safety!

Old 03-15-2006, 08:29 PM
bdavison

Well that makes sense. I can understand not having the resources to make the event. Thats ok.

Let me see if I can explain the "same plane" final thing from my point of view. Personally, I think its a great idea. Genious in fact.

Since this is an open event and allows pilots of every skill level to compete. Many pilots that have very good skill level, dont have the hottest new competition planes like the Sypher,ICE, etc. Most non competitors dont understand the differences between a competition level plane and a regular off the shelf foamy. Competition planes fly MUCH better than your average off the shelf foamy. Thankfully Blaine had the foresight to see that some pilots may be put at an advantage simply because of the type of plane that they had for the competition. So to level the playing field he made them all fly with the same plane. When the finalists fly the same plane....theres only ONE way to win. Use your pilot skill to beat your opponant. Best pilot wins...not best plane.

As far as FMA pilots scoring well in the event....hey...they had good pilots plain and simple. I was a competitor and I am completely satisfied with the results. Not to mention....the judges didnt know who was flying...its all anonymous. Anonymous planes, Anonymous pilots. There's no way the judges knew which pilots were flying which planes.

Hacker and Hobby Lobby were platinum sponsors too...so if it was biased...All their pilots should have been in the top 5 too...get a clue people. It was NOT rigged. Mark was the best pilot there. I watched him fly with my own eyes from a competitor standpoint, and he would have got good scores from me too.

Hopefully other electric competitions learn from the Xtreme Freestyle Championships and implement Blaine's stuff in their contests too. It rocked.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Greg Covey

I agree. Perhaps others will now too.

On a lighter note...Devin shows off for his sponsor...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51705.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	427108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23046.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	427109  
Old 03-16-2006, 01:05 PM
50%plane

Are the vids going to be out soon?

50%
Old 03-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Ultimate 2003

Whom shot the pictures of the Memphis Event?
Old 03-19-2006, 02:32 PM
flyingace451

Wow I should have gone....too bad I can't drive yet. Is there an age limit on pilots? Or else I'd set the record for the youngest pilot there.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:48 PM
bdavison

flyingace ...no there is no age limit. Youngest flyer at the event was Ryan Archer...and he's VERY good. I think he is 12?
You'll see him flying in the ETOC this year too.

I highly recommend you try out next year. Its TONS of fun. Anyone can and should try for an open slot.