Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Anyone compare copperhead vs. airfoilz

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Anyone compare copperhead vs. airfoilz

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Lammy1000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone compare copperhead vs. airfoilz

I keep wonderin how the Copperhead or Airfoil Z would fly compared to the BME mini Yak/ Stevens Stella, two of the best balsa planes around? I have been flying a mini e-3d and lovin it and just maidened an Airfoil z which seems to fly as on rails (need more time on it before i can evaluate)
Old 06-26-2006, 08:41 PM
JOyog

Thanks novabill,

I will be looking forward to your video. I think I may go with a stiffy since I would eventually like to move on to balsa electric. Maybe in the process I will try to get an Airfoilz also to replace my beat up 3dFoamy. I think I will see how the stiffy flies first though.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:55 PM
JOyog

Well after about two months of researching these two planes I finally decided to get the Extra Stiffy. I think it will suit its purpose for what I want to do...get into built up full fuse 3d electrics. I really appreciate all the replies on this forum with all the advice videos and such. At first I thought I had started a war but it seems these two companies really believe in their product and rightly so as they are at the top of the heap for this style of aircraft.

I have received very good service from Copperhead and must have gotten at least half a dozen emails from Tim regarding the status of my order. Got the email confirmation for the order, a shipping confirmation, a tracking number, etc. In all it took about a week before I got the plane and it was very well packaged and arrived with no damage. Upon opening the box everything was in its own plastic bag and neatly packaged. The bags were taped to the box and could not move around during shipping. Not bad for only $6.00 S&H.

The new elevator looks really nice with the balance tabs like the ones on the Yak. I am currently getting the supplies for the build. It really is not much and most of us probably have all the stuff needed to build the plane. I just ran out of rubbing alcohol and need some blue painters tape. I will take pics and post them if anyone would like. There have been many build threads on this plane so I won't be doing that. I will post any modifications I make, if any. I was kind of thinking of putting some sort of steerable tail wheel on this and maybe getting some carbon fiber control horns, I think they will last a lot longer than the ply ones. Though I guess I could harden the ply with some thin CA. Decistions, descisions...

Thanks again to all who replied on this thread...
Old 07-06-2006, 09:56 AM
wildjaych

cool you wont be sorry with this plane. very fun and stable
Old 08-15-2006, 07:52 PM
LeeU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading all of these post I decided to go with the Airfoilz Yak 54. In the end wing loading and double tapered control surfaces won out for me. Also I have emailed and talked to Paul and he is a lot of help and a nice guy. I have not flown or built either a Stiffly or an Airfoilz as my Yak 54 is in the mail, but all the vids on the Airfoilz helped me decide as well.

Hardware going in the Yak:

Hacker 20/20L motor, CC Ph 25 speed controller, JR 610U receiver, Either Hitec 55's or JR 241's (I have both and have not decided yet) and 2 ea Tanic 1550 3 cells, one at a time of course.

LeeU
Old 08-15-2006, 09:42 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: LeeU

After reading all of these post I decided to go with the Airfoilz Yak 54. In the end wing loading and double tapered control surfaces won out for me. Also I have emailed and talked to Paul and he is a lot of help and a nice guy. I have not flown or built either a Stiffly or an Airfoilz as my Yak 54 is in the mail, but all the vids on the Airfoilz helped me decide as well.

Hardware going in the Yak:

Hacker 20/20L motor, CC Ph 25 speed controller, JR 610U receiver, Either Hitec 55's or JR 241's (I have both and have not decided yet) and 2 ea Tanic 1550 3 cells, one at a time of course.

LeeU
i have the same one, love it. About the only thing i can comment/improve on your setup is that you should use a loaded micro antenna, to avoid long dangling wire at the back. I have noticed no range reduction with mine...
Old 08-18-2006, 03:04 PM
zope_pope

Hows this for durability of an airfoilz...

Being a new electric pilot I keep forgetting that the engine can turn on without my starter and my glowstick. So while setting up the throws, reverse, etc. I turned off the Tx while the Airplane was still on. Next thing I know the airplane goes full throttle across my living room into a wall. Dent in the wall yes, no damage to he airplane. A hell of a way to maiden an airplane. :P

As far as the way it flies. I love it to death. flies similar to my bigger aircraft, has plenty of rudder and elevator authority for 3d, and is just downright fun. THere is no flex that i can feel in any part of the airplane, and the overall finished look is a great. I have a few suggestions for the instructions, but that would be the only negative. I am sure both are fine aircraft, but there isn't anything I don't like about my airfoilz Edge.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:09 PM
zope_pope

I also want to add that Paul is a really good guy and helped me track my package when I lost my tracking number and the USPS was taking 2 times longer than it should have. On the otherhand, i feel the copperhead aviation poster here seems more hostile, sarcastic, and not very diplomatic. I know some of the posts on here have turned me off from his product. I am not trying to start anything, but just trying to give suggestions.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:41 PM
novabill

ORIGINAL: JOyog

Thanks novabill,

I will be looking forward to your video. I think I may go with a stiffy since I would eventually like to move on to balsa electric. Maybe in the process I will try to get an Airfoilz also to replace my beat up 3dFoamy. I think I will see how the stiffy flies first though.

I have had the vid done for weeks, but Tim has been in China since mid July and hasn't put it up. I can e-mail a 12mb version of it if you would like a sneek peek though. Send me an e-mail to [email protected] and I'll return it with the vid.

Cheers