Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Learning 3D

Old 07-17-2006, 04:32 PM
marcwv
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning 3D

Other than practice,practice ,practice there seems to be a few other helpful hints to learning 3D.
The one's that come to mind are : Having the plane trimmed out correctly
Not changing model types if your plane is capable of flying 3D. If you break it build another of the same type. Can all you guy's chime in here with some suggestions?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:38 PM
E-Foamies.com

Default RE: Learning 3D

Get a plane that doesn't break as easily so you spend more time flying and less time repairing!

http://e-foamies.com/store/catalog/p...products_id=38
Old 07-17-2006, 05:02 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Here are the tips Ive learned if you want to get REAL good.

1. Practice a lot!
Fly everyday. Even a hour on the sim will help. The more you fly the better you get. If your not flying everyday, your not flying. If you want to be competitive, you ABSOLUTLY MUST practice as much as possible.

2. Build quality airplanes.
I dont mean buy the most expensive airplanes. I mean when you build it, build it right. Don't get impatient and slap it together. Build it straight, and well. My high school gym teacher told me once. "If its worth doing..its worth doing well, or not at all."

3. Learn your equipment.
Know EVERYTHING there is to know about the equipment you use. Learn how every little part on it works. Learn how to assemble, disassemble, and repair ALL of your airplane. Learn which glues work, how to solder, basic electric priniciples, servo gears, motors, etc.

4. Experiment.
Experiment with everything. Change prop sizes, change motors, try different servos, scratch build an airplane. Dont be locked into what the manufacturers tell us to use. Use what you find works for you. What's good for Quique may not work for you.

5. Compete.
Competition is one of the best incentives for getting better. Find a competition that appeals to you and go for it. Flying against better pilots, will help you improve. You'll learn tips and tricks from them that will help you.

6. Pay attention.
Look around you, go check out all the other guys airplanes. Many times you'll pick up a trick or idea from other people's planes.

7. Learn modeling skills.
Learn the tools of the trade. Learn how to scratch build. Build a kit from downloaded plans.

And the single most important thing....

LEARN THE RUDDER.
You cant fly 3D without the rudder. LEARN IT, USE IT.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

All it takes is practice and the guts to practice it.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:30 AM
mikeygp
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: bdavison

Here are the tips Ive learned if you want to get REAL good.

1. Practice a lot!
Fly everyday. Even a hour on the sim will help. The more you fly the better you get. If your not flying everyday, your not flying. If you want to be competitive, you ABSOLUTLY MUST practice as much as possible.

2. Build quality airplanes.
I dont mean buy the most expensive airplanes. I mean when you build it, build it right. Don't get impatient and slap it together. Build it straight, and well. My high school gym teacher told me once. "If its worth doing..its worth doing well, or not at all."

3. Learn your equipment.
Know EVERYTHING there is to know about the equipment you use. Learn how every little part on it works. Learn how to assemble, disassemble, and repair ALL of your airplane. Learn which glues work, how to solder, basic electric priniciples, servo gears, motors, etc.

4. Experiment.
Experiment with everything. Change prop sizes, change motors, try different servos, scratch build an airplane. Dont be locked into what the manufacturers tell us to use. Use what you find works for you. What's good for Quique may not work for you.

5. Compete.
Competition is one of the best incentives for getting better. Find a competition that appeals to you and go for it. Flying against better pilots, will help you improve. You'll learn tips and tricks from them that will help you.

6. Pay attention.
Look around you, go check out all the other guys airplanes. Many times you'll pick up a trick or idea from other people's planes.

7. Learn modeling skills.
Learn the tools of the trade. Learn how to scratch build. Build a kit from downloaded plans.

And the single most important thing....

LEARN THE RUDDER.
You cant fly 3D without the rudder. LEARN IT, USE IT.
I think you said that very well could not have said it better myself two things that I would like to add is. On number one is not only to practice but how you practice. You have to take a maneuver what ever you want to learn and do it over and over and over till you are sick of it. If you just go and fly you will get better but it will take longer because we tend to fly the things we are already good at and shy away from the things we stink at. Two for me the trick for learning the precision stuff was four point rolls I think that is a great foundation to work from in your precision training. Precision makes you better 3d pilot.