Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Can't Hover? Use a Co-pilot

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Can't Hover? Use a Co-pilot

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can't Hover? Use a Co-pilot

Can't hover but you want to learn? Use the [link=http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=29&nid=7]FS8 Co-pilot[/link] in V-Hover Mode. The Co-pilot can be remotely switched between 1) normal flight mode, 2) Co-pilot mode, and 3) V-Hover mode using a spare channel knob or 3-position switch on your transmitter. The Co-pilot and V-Hover Modes can be adjusted for a variable amount of assistance.

Team JR's Devin McGrath doesn't need the Co-pilot in V-Hover mode...unless he's not using any hands!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88254.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	513062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96219.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	513063  
Old 08-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Greg Covey

Default RE: Can't Hover? Use a Co-pilot

The free FS8 Viewer software provides easy access to all the setup. The graphics show your finger heat in front of each of the 6 sensors (3 axis) in real time! I used Channel 7 for my remote Co-pilot control. You can set up the Co-pilot on any control surfaces for pitch and roll. The additional "Z" sensor insures that the plane is not inverted in normal Co-pilot Mode and provides pitch control in V-Hover Mode.

For normal Co-pilot Mode, the control surfaces are usually elevator and aileron (or rudder) for pitch and roll. For V-Hover Mode, the control surfaces are normally elevator and rudder. The direction of control is easily reversed in Setup Mode. One 30 second calibration is all you need at the field for both Co-pilot and V-Hover Modes. The infrared sensors cannot be fooled by light. Note that the second image of the Co-pilot setup has V-Hover Mode activated and it says, "Emergency Recovery" because I had the plane sitting against a wall nose down in my office during the setup.

Best of all, the FS8 Co-pilot provides True Failsafe Operation (TFO). In the event of Loss-Of-Signal (LOS), the control surfaces can be set to any pre-determined position (shown as FS in the images). On both my 3lb 3D plane and 23lb 33% Edge 540, I set the motor to off and rudder to full right. The plane slowly descends in a clockwise circle minimizing kinetic energy and impact damage.

Name:	Ec87766.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	513120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39909.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	513121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91303.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	513122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45931.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	513123  
Old 08-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Greg Covey

Default RE: Can't Hover? Use a Co-pilot

Field calibration of the Co-pilot is as easy as holding the plane up and pressing the CAL button for 2 seconds. The FS8 Co-Pilot then calibrates the infrared sensors to the surrounding conditions.

Note that I stand diagonally to the plane so the sensors are not blocked during calibration. The X-Y dual sensor is for pitch and roll. The optional "Z" sensor detects if the plane is inverted for normal Co-Pilot operation and is used for pitch control in V-Hover Mode.

The 50" span 3D plane is a Fun World EP from World Models.

We'll show a video of V-Hover Mode soon...

Name:	Mk25851.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	513439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58096.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	513440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82979.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	43.9 KB