Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Electric COMP ARF 2x2 extra 260 setup.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Electric COMP ARF 2x2 extra 260 setup.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:41 AM
leblanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric COMP ARF 2x2 extra 260 setup.

Hey guys,

I am looking for a power setup that I can use a my new coming composite arf extra 260 2x2. The small version. I am wondering what motor, battery, prop ect ect....

This will be my first plane that s actually this big and that will be planned to get off the ground =).

My current setup right now that I am thinking is a hacker A60-14L motor with it's esc and for power, hmm I am not every experienced in big battery's, and setting them in series or parralel. But with the recommended setup that hacker says it's 10lipo 8000mah. I think that might be overdoing it for power and well just not sure for this size yet. I got losts of reserch to do and better understanding of things. But one thing I would like it's to keep them 4cell's max, thats what my charger can handle right now, its the lipoly charge 4 from GP, it can charge 4 battery's at once, so I think thats kinda handy for charging those battery's pretty quickly. But if a charger for 5 cell is required that doesn't bother me at all.

Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

LeBlanc
Old 08-31-2006, 11:49 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Electric COMP ARF 2x2 extra 260 setup.

Hmm.

Tanic has some packs that you could stay within your "4cell max" idea, but you'll be strapping quite a few of them together.
If your aggressive on throttle, you'll need all the capacity you can get. 8000mAH probably is a good estimate for most 3D pilots on that motor.

Here's a little tip.
Figure out how many amps your motor will draw on average
multiply it by how many minutes you intend to fly
divide that by 60
multiply that by 1000, and you'll know how many mAH you will need MINIMUM.

Example
16 amps x 7 min = 112
/ 60 = 1.86
x 1000 = 1866mAh.....this is the calculation for my little Rogue 3D plane. I run a 2250mAh because I sometimes get aggressive.
This works for any plane...from little tiny foamies up to 40%.

Bear in mind too...that that charger may not be able to charge 4 packs at once at 2-5A a pack. Probably two at a time max, and it will suck the life out of your car battery in minutes. You'll need a little generator at the field for charging. Most of the guys I know are using the little Honda generators.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:24 PM
leblanc

Great thanks,

Ya I was wondering about my car battery, when I am charging 4 battery's at once, I need to put it on charge so that the voltage doesn't drop too low.

I will keep your idea for the mah of the battery.

I read the instuction manuel, the they recommend a hacker 50 with a 6.7:1 gear box. They used 2 TP 6000 4-cell battery's and are getting easy 8-9 minute flights.

All I don't know, and don't understand they say the hacker 50, but inrunner or outrunner. I think it's the outrunner but doesn't say which. More reserch for me to do.

Thanks

LeBlanc
Old 09-22-2006, 08:30 AM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

leblanc:
Are you referring to the Extra 2X2 comp-arf has made for quite awhile? I have 2 of them but I have never heard them referred to as a 260 Extra?

One of mine has a DA-50 and it came out at 15lbs and is an excellent flyer with super power to weight ratio.

The second I just finished up electric. Put 2 flights on it an was not satisfied with the set-up. The motor was a Neu 1515-2y with a Cobri motor mount. Castle HV85 speed controller and Tanic 12s2p 7300 lipo's. It came out at 16lbs and flew heavy.

I feel I went overboard on the lipo's which increased the weight to much. I am now in the process of switching to a Neu 1521 with the heavy duty gear box of 6.7x1, Cobri motor mount and 10s2p 5000mah Tanic lipo's. Hoping to come out at 14lbs.

Check out e-flightline.com website. These guys specialize in larger set-ups and were very helpful. I really like their Cobri motor mounts. I was able to use the standard gas firewall and place it in the fuselage at the same location as a DA-50, ie no alterations and of course you don't have to buy comp-arfs electric conversion stuff.

Will be several weeks before I get the 2x2 back in the air but will let you know. I beleive the Hacker 50 and the Neu 1515 are pretty comparable. Power to weight ratio was just not there on the 1515. Hovered at 3/4 throttle and not much pull out even with the 12 cell. Thus, I would recommend the larger Hacker, especially if you are going smaller number of cells.

I tried the GP charger on two 4s2p 4200 TP cells. It will charge them but not at the dial indicated amps. It took forever to charge them.
Stepping up to a good charger, balancer, etc will be a must for you on these bigger birds. I would suggest the TP1010 and balancer to protect your large investment in these lipo's.
Paul