Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Smokin Motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 02:11 PM
EZ Money

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smokin Motor

I bought a Katana Mini from Atlanta Hobbies and also bought the recommended Torgue 2830 1095 motor.

After 5 or 6 flights the motor quit working and just got real hot and started smoking. I sent it back and they were very nice and replaced it free of charge.

I bought a Katana Mini from Atlanta Hobbies and also bought the recommended Torque 2830 1095 motor.

After 5 or 6 flights the motor quit working and just got real hot and started smoking. I sent it back and they were very nice and replaced it free of charge.

Today I flew the new one and after only half a flight it again burned up and got so hot I was surpirsed it didn't catch the plane on fire.

I can't believe I got two bad motors, so now I am scratching my head. The motor (out runner) or prop shaft is not touching anything when mounted, I am using a Phoenix 25 controller and a TP 2100 Li Po battery.

Could the controller be causing this?

Any other ideas?

Also would be a good cross reference in either a Hacker or a Hi Max?
Old 09-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Smokin Motor

Hmm... I run that motor and haven't had any problems. What prop are you using?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:30 PM
EZ Money

11 x 4.7, as suggested for the airplane.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Ryguy

Hmm...that's exactly what I run. I use the exact same setup on my KM, with a CC35. Something's not right. I realize it's a little late now, but did you check to make sure the shaft could turn freely? On mine I always had to drill out the hole in the firewall for the C clip on the motor shaft. Did you do this? That could account for a significant amount of friction.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:05 PM
EZ Money

The Katana Mini has a very poor firewall design. If you beam mount it it would stick way out of the front of the cowl, so my only alternative was to mount it on the inside of the firewall and use the small screws to hold it in place. Because it is on the inside I am thinking that it is blocking all of the air from the windings and that's causing the super heating problem.

lI am going to cut the firewall and move it back then I can beam mount the next one.

Wondering if an E Flight 480 would fly it?
Old 09-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Ryguy

I've run full throttle through a whole battery on mine, just to see how hot it would get, and it was fine. When you mount the motor, I always cut down the radical mount to use as a spacer between the motor and firewall to keep the C clip from dragging. That elemiates any drag between the motor and firewall. Did you do anything like this to allow the motor to spin freely?

Also, yes, the 480 works great on the KM, just a half ounce heavier than the Torque for no power gain.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:43 PM
EZ Money

I mounted the motor in back of the firewall not in front. The screws go through the front of the firewall pulling the motor up snug against the back and the prop shaft goes through a hole in the center.

Looking at it now the air vents in the front are blocked by the firewall.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Ryguy

That's exactly how I have mine mounted. Did you check to make sure that the motor could turn freely? There's a C-clip on the front of the motor shaft that will rub against the firewall unless you either use the radical mount as a spacer or drill the hole out large enough for the C-clip (which is significantly larger than just the hole for the shaft). This does block off the motor from the cooling vents, but my motor still never gets hot, even when I flew it on a 114* day. Mine in fact has even poorer cooling because I added a support to the firewall by adding a chunk of ply to the bottom of the motor cage.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:24 AM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Was that an 11 X 4.7 E prop, or 11 X 4.7 SF prop? The SF draws a lot more amps (more heat)
Old 09-10-2006, 07:10 PM
EZ Money

To put a perild to the end of this post, I put an E Flight 480 on it. I moved the firewall back about 2 inches and mounted it on the front using the supplied mount.

With a 10x7 it flew very well, but I think a 10 x 6 might be better.

End of story.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:03 PM
nitro wing

I run a 12x6 sf prop on my 480 (920 Kv I think) on an Ultimate, revs are right up,pulls hard
probably need a higher Kv for the Katana though.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Hobby-Motory

why you are canceling the option that the new motor is also defective ??
All the "hot" brands manufacturer in China and even to them defective products might be
as well as any other brand.

I suggest you to send back your all electric set up and get new one insted.