Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Typhoon Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 06:50 PM
JustUnicycle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typhoon Question

A lot of question on the boards about the Typhoon and I am here to add another one. I have a 3CH trainer that I am pretty good at and I am ready to move up to some 4CH with some 3D would be nice. The typhoon is promising but I am wondering: Eventually I want to upgrade to the flatouts for some pure 3D action. Can I use the transmitter and possibly the reciver from the Typhoon in the new kit? To me if I have to spend another $300 to get the next step up il buy a ARF 4CH trainer that I can use all the servos, revievers, and transmitters from. Thanks. Also if I can't what is a fairly similar product ARF?

---
Andrew
Old 09-08-2006, 10:38 PM
SS2P

Default RE: Typhoon Question

ORIGINAL: JustUnicycle

A lot of question on the boards about the Typhoon and I am here to add another one. I have a 3CH trainer that I am pretty good at and I am ready to move up to some 4CH with some 3D would be nice. The typhoon is promising but I am wondering: Eventually I want to upgrade to the flatouts for some pure 3D action. Can I use the transmitter and possibly the reciver from the Typhoon in the new kit? To me if I have to spend another $300 to get the next step up il buy a ARF 4CH trainer that I can use all the servos, revievers, and transmitters from. Thanks. Also if I can't what is a fairly similar product ARF?

---
Andrew

I had a 3ch AILERON trainer that I flew and than I bought the typhoon. I did fine... Than I went to 3D reflection flatout with typhoon's transimitter and I did fine but to tell you the truth I would have appreciated a computer radio.. W/e ... If yo feel comfotable with your AILERON TRAINER than go for it. If your plane has only a rudder than stop and look for something with ailerons.

Paul
Old 09-09-2006, 08:28 AM
JustUnicycle

Yea. I hear what you are saying about ailerons. I really wonder about how you had no rudder. I can't really see myself spending another $100 for another trainer. I have a little sim with ailerons. In any case thanks for your advice. I'm glad you got the FlatOut to work as that would be my next step since you can do some VERY CRAZY things with it.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:05 PM
JustUnicycle

I had 2 really good 10 min flights today. (With my Wing Dragon.) The wind was pretty bad but the only thing I noticed was a severe lack of control when flying with the wind (relative airspeed is low) so you have to go superfast downwind to get some flow over the surfaces. I was dissapointed with the elevator response so I taped a peice of cardoard to it equal to the legnth of the surface, so it doubled it. WOW! The servo seems to have enough power which I was worried about and it gives me a great response. I can keep my nose up in steep banks much better. My dad will come home and flip out but he ordered another stabiliser set because he thinks he will crash it so its OK if I experiment with mine. OK well the guy at the hobby shop HIGHLY reccomended the Typhoon so it looks like a viable option.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:32 AM
brianchristie

Yes.
You can use all of the electronics from the Typhoon in any other aircraft. It's pretty much "standard" equipment.

However ... The Typhoon is NOT a trainer. The Wing Dragon is. The Typhoon flies fast even with the "slow" prop on it. It does not glide well with power off as the Wing Dragon does. The hobby shop will tell you what you want to hear so they can sell stuff. That's what they do.

You'd probably be better off with one of the flat-foam planes as an "aileron trainer" or 3D trainer. They are slow fliers and are real sturdy and the cost is low.