Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Mini Funtana Modifications?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Mini Funtana Modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 01:06 AM
Sneasle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Funtana Modifications?

I have a question for you guys. One of my co-workers gave me a mini funtana that he crashed and I have now be tasked with rebuilding it. Under the assumption that I can rebuild it, it is all mine, otherwise, it joins the rest of the wrecks on the scrap heap. I have looked at the replacment parts that are available, and aside form the cowling, I do not plan on purchasing any because the cost would be significantly high.

The damage is not tooooo bad, but because of it's location and the methods used to build the funtana, there is not much is broken balsa that I can use to cut new ribs from. Also, he lost the peice of wood that had broken off the front of the fuse, so I have no idea what it looked like.

Now, I know this plane has been very popular recently, and I know that there have been alot of mods to it. I have browsed through a few threads looking for pictures, but have not really seen anything that can help me.

I need to recut 4 wing ribs and the middle wing spar on the (right?) wing. Granted, normally I would not attempt to rebuild a wing with a broken main spar, but with how the wing was designed, where I will be removing the spar had only been glued on in the past (and the glue wasnt all that good.)

I also need to rebuild the majority of the front of the fuse. And by that I do mean the majority of it. It had been crashed once before and repaired and then reinforced with chop sticks, but with the damage from the past crash I don't trust whats left of the repair work.

Yes, it is quite a large amount of work, but I enjoy rebuilding things. There just isnt enough left for me to make traces (at least not easily), so I am hoping there are a few of you who may have stripped one of these planes down and have taken pictures, or have a crashed one you could make a rib template from.

many thanks.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 AM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Mini Funtana Modifications?

This sounds like a fun project. Given a project of this magnitude. You should consider rebuilding the fusalage from the tail feathers forward. The reason I suggest this is because the MF is notoriously bad at knife edge. If you could add 3/4" to the height of the fuse, this could make a big difference. Of course, this would also mean you would need to make your own cowl to fit the taller fusalage, so you might not want to tackle it.

(I came really close to doing this on mine, but I just gave it away instead)

Hopefully you were able to find my old thread on MF modifications.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Sneasle

interesting idea. Are you refering to extending the overall length of the fuse? Or increasing the actual size of the firewall? If you are talking about just increasing the length, then I could just makethe overall taper down the fuse a bit more drastic. I would much rather not make a new cowl. I am a college student and I don't really have the equipment nessesary to pull that off.

How old is your thread?
Old 09-20-2006, 06:21 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now we know what happened to Sneasle - he's fallen prey to the dark side. And here I was thinking you ate some of DB's kraft and dogs......

Hogfllyer
Old 09-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Sneasle

haha, ya, sorry about that. I have been neglecting my 1/2a duties. then again, im putting a the la .15 on this thing (maybe) from my mustang, so i might bring it back to the 1.2 forum. You think they would be able to give me more help hogflier?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know - there are a tough bunch, but maybe they may work to pull you away from the dark side......

You may have to come back pleading for your mortal life on your hand and knees.....

Hogflyer
Old 09-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: Sneasle

I would much rather not make a new cowl. I am a college student and I don't really have the equipment nessesary to pull that off.
I remember in college that funding was really an issue for me, but if you can swing it, a Funtana cowl is only about $5.00 plus shipping.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Sneasle

Oh, I plan on buying a new cowl, they arent that much. What I think he was referring too was with those fuse mods that he was thinking of that you would have to make a new cowl for it since the dimensions would be different.