Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Rimfire Set Up Question

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Rimfire Set Up Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:28 PM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rimfire Set Up Question

Not sure if this is the right forum for a question about Rimfire motors, but here goes. I have a small Rimfire motor, probably the GPMG 4525, that I bought for my first foamie--the GP Flatana. Plane is long gone, but motor, ESC and batteries live on. Just for grins I installed this power system in a 2M glider that I built about 10 years ago but haven't flown for a long time because using Norvel .061 is a PITA. I was not sure if there would be sufficient power to pull glider to altitude, but I was pleasantly surprised that I could, with a 2100 mah LiPo make as many climbs as desired.

So here is my question. This motor has a prop saver front end with the prop rubber banded on using two small set screws for keepers, and a shaft sticking out the rear. It is necessary to make a hole in the firewall for the shaft. Can the motor be dissassembled and re-configured to allow the shaft to stick out the front? I would like to use a folding prop but need a prop shaft to attatch too. Can't use rubber bands to hold it on. I guess the other option would be to build a box and mount engine backwards with shaft sticking out. Plane
flies fine with a the prop sticking in the air, but can'g help thinking it would be better to have a folding prop.

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:53 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rimfire Set Up Question

Can't tell you yes or no. Take it apart and let us know. I don't see why you couldn't.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:59 PM
hobbydude214
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rimfire Set Up Question

the answer is yes you can. this is a suprisingly very common process, you may need a small mallet to lightly tap the shaft through. look for c -clips