Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

n00b needs direction...

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

n00b needs direction...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 10:12 PM
:)--}--{

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n00b needs direction...

hello, i cannot decide what to do, Ive mastered the airhogs aeroace and now im looking for a real backyard basher. i have this whole week off and have nothing to do. i stopped buy the local hobby shop to see if they had a blade cx,and i saw this thing gee-bee [link]http://cgi.ebay.com/4-CH-Gee-Bee-3D-Aerobatic-Brushless-R-C-RC-Airplane-RTF_W0QQitemZ270052612848QQihZ017QQcategoryZ2563QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link]

so will i be able to fly this thing or is it for professionals? i am pretty good at learning new things(except the blade cp)

oh also i do plan on joining a flying club near me in a year or so they are pretty much all glow fuel planes there, thanks!
Old 11-11-2006, 10:21 PM
novabill

Default RE: n00b needs direction...

just fly it in a large area to get used to it
Old 11-11-2006, 10:33 PM

i guess the real qestion is...are these durable? how do they react to wind?and what happens when i break it? and will i be able to fly it like a normal plane until i get the feel of 4ch?
Old 11-11-2006, 11:52 PM
novabill

ORIGINAL: --}--{

i guess the real qestion is...are these durable? how do they react to wind?and what happens when i break it? and will i be able to fly it like a normal plane until i get the feel of 4ch?
They are fixable...They are light and thus don't hit as hard. Get yourself a big bottle of foam safe CA or a hot glue gun. They don't do well with wind. When it breaks, you glue/tape it back together. You should be able to fly it with Aileron,Elevator. Wou won't be able to fly it with rudder/elevator. Do you have a sim for your puter??? If not, invest the couple hundred bones on one. You will then be able to huck around a foamy with confidence in a matter of weeks. www.ohiomodelplanes.com sells AFPD. It's a great sim.

Cheers.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:59 PM
VictoryRoll-91

I say get a sim, and take things a bit slower......
Old 11-12-2006, 12:19 AM

i have a sim but i dont think its too accurate since i dominate a 3d sports plane[>:] i wish there was a 3d aeroace lol im just looking for something to hold me over till i get into glow planes. however ill prolly spend more time with a plane i can fly at home. im pretty sure i can fly a 4ch if its close to my sim and flys slowly. but ive been looking harder and found this guy http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1275.html hmmm
Old 11-12-2006, 08:52 AM
flyingace451

What sim do you have?

Anyways, if you want to go the simple way, without tons of crashes, then don't go with a 3D capable plane just yet. Get an Aerobird Challenger or something similar as it is durable, 3ch, rtf, and a really good flyer. You might (and probably will) regret going from something so simple as an aeroace to a 4ch 3d plane.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:28 AM
novabill

I had one of those U Can Do 3D Flight Flex thingys and didn't like it. When the fuse flexes, the plane gets a mind of it's own. I think a 3D foamy is allright with your limited experience as long as you tame down the throws and don't try rollers the first flight. Both my son and daughter learned to fly with a Precision Aerobatics Bad Boy. What makes a 3D pplane good at 3D is the same thing that makes it easy to sport. Light wingloading and stability.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:42 PM

wow that badboy is really amazing! i may just get a blade cx after all[&o] i was hoping for an easy 3d plane that i could fly around home and after work in the shop[:-] but the mini chopper maight be better for me,,sorry.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:14 PM
novabill

Nope,

Blade will cost you bocoup bucks...Trust me, I tried that as well and always had trouble with it in smaller spaces.. Your original question was

so will i be able to fly this thing or is it for professionals? i am pretty good at learning new things(except the blade cp)
I simply stated that most 3D planes are easy to fly if you tone the rates down. You stated that you have been flying a sim. All things considered, I'll say it again. Yes I think you could prolly fly the thing. Just fly it in a larger area until you get used to it.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:34 PM

[X(] oh i was under the imprssion i would most likely break it lol im still very torn between a helicopter and a plane. the gee-bee and blade cx are close in price i guess it comes down to comparing apples to oranges[&:]

oh the sim is called pre-flite for blade helis but theres planes on there(no 3d foamies) its pants imo []
Old 11-14-2006, 05:32 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Looks fragile for someone with limited stick time. I think it might be an ok flying plane if set up right and in the right hands. You have been given some good advice here. Save this one for later, and learn to fly confidentlly first. Then you will appreciate what this one has to offer...or not.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:14 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

An important thing to note is the Aero Ace doesn't fly like other planes. It is a self leveling airplane. As long as both motors are turning, the plane will go straight. When you want to turn, you push the stick left or right and hold it there while the plane turns because one motor is turning faster that the other.

A normal flying RC plane doesn't turn like that. To change directions, you have to push the stick (ailerons) to get the plane to bank, let off the ailerons, then add up elevator. Once the plane is going the direction you want, you have to level the wings again with aileron and let off the elevator. The biggest problem here is that you can push the ailerons the wrong way and end up over banked or even upside down. The Aero Ace prevents inverted flight with its unique flying technique. ie differential thrust.

But, you said you learn quickly and have a Sim. Shouldn't take much time at all to master an easy flying foamy.

Welcome to (the machine) R/C!