Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

3D Trainer...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:41 AM
tobb3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Trainer...

Hi!
I'm a new member here on the forum. I also come from Finland so my english maybe isn't so good[sm=red_smile.gif].

But anyway. I have flown airplanes now for about 3 years. I have a electric powered park-flyer (it looks like a J3 Cub) with 3 channels and an old TT Tiger Trainer 40 glow powered model. Now I want something more challenging. The old parkflyer-trainer isn't fun to fly with anymore. So I'm looking for a new electric airplane. Park-flyer of course because here were I live now (I have just moved) isn't room for bigger glow powered models or bigger ep-planes. So I'm looking for a 3D trainer. Wich one would you recommend? I appreciate if it could be flying in windy conditions too (my park-flyer couldn't fly so well in windy conditions...). I have looked a bit on the U-Can-Do 3D EP "Flightflex". Is it a good 3D Trainer? Is it possible to later mount a brushless motor in it too when the skills become better? Recommend other planes too if you want. Thanks!!

EDIT: oops...I notice that this thread is in the wrong place[sm=red_smile.gif][sm=confused_smile.gif]. Sorry...
Old 12-08-2006, 03:10 AM
Ben D Wing

Default RE: 3D Trainer...

Welcome on board to a great forum!
Your inital choice seems ok, but my weapons of choice would be either an E-Flite Mini Funtana, or a Precision Aerobatics Mini Katana. These are both well made, can be flown in a small park, have removable wings for easy storage and can handle a bit of wind better than most small foamies. The only down side is that they don't bounce well, but I guess your flying isn't that bad[:@]. Whatever your choice, have fun
Old 12-08-2006, 08:20 AM
The Hedgehog

The Great Planes Reactor is a great one also, handles the wind well.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:20 AM
tobb3

Thanks! Well, I have looked a bit on the Mini Katana...What motor and ESC do you recommend to it? Or does it include in the package?? hehe...My flying skills are OK...the basic flight I can handle and loops go too...But taht's all. Well I have trained a bit on the simulator (Reflex XTR) and there I can hover, rools, flat-spin etc...but that's not IRL...
Old 12-09-2006, 08:25 AM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

You might want to get a foam one before you get a mini katana, it is a lot cheaper to replace. Also the mini katana needs a runway to land, grass will rip off the gear every time. So some of this depends on if there is a good spot to land. For foamies I like the Shockflyer F3A. Put a CDR brushless in it with a CC 10 amp esc and TP 910 3S battery. Fly it with no gear of course.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:49 AM
tobb3

No Mini Katana for me...It's too expensive...And the foamies can't fly in windy conditions right? Now I have found another plane. GWS Formosa. What do you think about it? It isn't so expensive either
Old 12-09-2006, 11:32 AM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

I have flown the F3A in 10mph winds, not fun, and not a good training exercise. The formosa has a heavier wing loading so it will be ok in some wind. Be sure and put a brushless and lipo in it then it will fly well. You will need to ask others for the best set up, but if it is in the 14oz to 18 oz range I would put a Hacker 20-20L and a TP1320 in it.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Hacker Super Zoom was just made for you.Made from EPP foam, it will take a joke. It's big foamy and flies like a bigger plane. Pull the nose up and it will hang on the prop with the best of them. Handles the wind very well. Easy to repair with hot glue, although I havn't had to yet. The Formosea is more like a pattern plane. Flies very well but is not a 3D plane. The Super Zoom is a very well behaved plane if your getting into 3D stuff. Knifedges with rudder only, Just steer it around with the elevator. No cross coupling whatsoever. A little expensive but pays back in its crashproofedness.(new word) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=17&pp=15 Here's a good thread on it if you don't mind reading