Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Precision Aerobatics Katana MD Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Precision Aerobatics Katana MD Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:18 AM
aerofundan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Precision Aerobatics Katana MD Build and Fly

ORIGINAL: itai

Did some rang checks today the GWS receiver gave me 100 meters I think I am changing my receiver,( longer range ,light ) any suggestions?
What are you using? 72 mhz, 35 mhz?, if 35 mhz, consider the PA Signal RX, if 72 mhz, im using the polks seeker 6, also i've heard good things about the castle berg7.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:13 PM
itai

i am using 72mhz and i allso heard good things about the Castle Creations Berg 7P 7Ch.
thay say it is a Full range receiver and it Weighs only 9gr here are the two versions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13838.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	700594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68518.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	700595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86523.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	700596  
Old 06-09-2007, 06:48 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

That is the one i use (vertical pin 72mhz) with a shortened base loaded antenna.

Is that 100 meters with the antenna collapsed (not pulled out) If so that's pretty amazing. If it is with the antenna deployed definitely get better rx.

Are you sure you are not routing the antenna over cf?
Old 06-09-2007, 10:13 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

I use that reciever aswell in my foamy's. It is fast and has excellent range without sacrificing weight.

Kevin
Old 06-10-2007, 12:47 AM
aflipz

some use them in giant gas planes never mind foamies!
Old 06-10-2007, 02:51 AM
itai

ORIGINAL: aflipz

That is the one i use (vertical pin 72mhz) with a shortened base loaded antenna.

Is that 100 meters with the antenna collapsed (not pulled out) If so that's pretty amazing. If it is with the antenna deployed definitely get better rx.

Are you sure you are not routing the antenna over cf?
the antenna was deployed
Old 06-10-2007, 02:59 AM
leblanc

Huh... weird. I had one before and gave me way more range than that. I am using a hitec electron 6. Range (antenna collapse is about 100 feet). I've never had any problem with it. You can also take the case off to save some weight.

LeBlanc
Old 06-10-2007, 03:46 AM
itai

100 feet is 30 meters which is very short range.
On what plane is that?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:29 PM
aflipz

Itai,

the correct method to range-check 72mhz is to walk away from the TX with the plane. To do this, you do not pull out the antenna, it is "collapsed" inside the transmitter!

In most cases (check manufacturer) when you are able to get 100 feet or 30 meters away from the transmitter WITHOUT the antenna pulled out or "extended" and get no glitching you will be fine.

It is best to do this with an assistant who holds the plane securely making sure to stay clear of the propeller and not to restrict surface movement. It is best to do the test with throttle, without throttle and 50% throttle, actuating all surfaces making sure all is smooth.

Then when you extend the antenna the range will be far greater than that...

My 7P with a shortenned base loaded antenna starts to glitch a little at a little over 100 feet with the antenna collapsed and the transmitter on the ground. (The transmitter antenna is NOT EXTENDED OR PULLED OUT for this step) With the antenna extended it is full range; and that is much farther than i could possibly see my KMD.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:05 PM
itai

With antenna deployed it gave me 100 meters.
I think I will order the Berg 7P today.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:02 PM
aflipz

definitely 100 meters is unnecessarily restricting yourself. 7P will give you over 1.6KM no problem. And best of all, if someone else turns on their radio on same channel as you while you fly the 7P will ignore it and continue to operate normally under your tx's control!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:17 PM
aerofundan

definitely 100 meters is unnecessarily restricting yourself. 7P will give you over 1.6KM no problem. And best of all, if someone else turns on their radio on same channel as you while you fly the 7P will ignore it and continue to operate normally under your tx's control!
Man that Berg receiver really sounds like an awesome piece of equipment! especially that feature you say that it will ignore the signal of other radio on same channel [X(]
Old 06-12-2007, 10:03 PM
leblanc

I got a maiden in today! it flew, then it flew again, landed, then it flew again!! How great is that?!

Thing is ridiculous!! Best thing I have ever flown by a LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG shot!! Take off was short and only at 1\2 throttle over rough grass. I needed a little down trim thats it. First thing I did was discover how slow I can fly this without doing a harrier and holding elevator before it stalls. Just got slower and sloooooower. I could easily walk by the plane ( not that I did, was too focused, first time nervous during a maiden, went away quickly though ) . After I found it, I started doing some touch and goes! I have many other planes that landing almost seem boring with it. Not with this plane, I did about 10 touch and goes continuously!! It looks so awesome to watch it touch the ground so smoothly without controlling it! Then after did some snaps. Wow, insane!! The plane doesn't stop and stall as usuall, it goes through the manouever! Then some KE spins, my favorite stunt! Full power I climbed way up ( I landed right after and my battery was really hot from it!! oops) pointed the nose down, left aileron, then just hit the elevator and rudder with about 1\3 throttle. Then slowly took ailerons off, and it just looked awesome!! Just as well as an edge 540 with their straight leading edge! After landing and letting my battery cool a little bit, I did some rolling harriers. Again addicting!! Although they weren't as low as aerofundan's they still looked really nice and had the same look. Was going straight and had the same "bouncy" look (fingers need work).

All in all, this plane beats any other plane I've ever tried and flown by a long shot! It was windy when I flew and it was still fantastic!

Also there was a person that showed up when I was flying. First time ever a RC pilot comes to watch me fly. After I did a couple snaps with the plane, the guys jaw dropped!! He was stunned and told me thats all he needed to see in order to buy one! Weird first time I even fly the KMD and a guy shows up to see it's greatness!!

LB
Old 06-12-2007, 11:08 PM
aflipz

ORIGINAL: aerofundan

Man that Berg receiver really sounds like an awesome piece of equipment! especially that feature you say that it will ignore the signal of other radio on same channel [X(]

I know eh? Hard to believe but it's said to be true! It says so on castle's website and i do remember someone actually trying it. ( i am not about to say ditch the frequency board...)
Old 06-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Bonefisher

Leblanc...

Nice work on the flight and the board... I am building one (Mango colored as well) right now and this site helped a great deal... the directions left just a hair to be desired, but good overall...

Just finished with the horiz stab and elevator build out...

Question for you... did you find the CF connecting rods for the aelerons servos just long enough without ANY room to spare? Seems like mine were about 1/5 inch short overall?

Also, my plane did not come with bolts for the landing gear holes (not the self tapping ones)... I found some phillip head screws that came with the kit that seemed to work, but I hope not to come up short later if I needed them for something... Just did not see any allen headed bolts....

Thanks again for the nice work... I do have to say it is the finest kit I have ever seen produced in terms of quality...

Old 06-13-2007, 11:49 AM
itai

ORIGINAL: leblanc

I got a maiden in today! it flew, then it flew again, landed, then it flew again!! How great is that?!

Thing is ridiculous!! Best thing I have ever flown by a LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG shot!! Take off was short and only at 1\2 throttle over rough grass. I needed a little down trim thats it. First thing I did was discover how slow I can fly this without doing a harrier and holding elevator before it stalls. Just got slower and sloooooower. I could easily walk by the plane ( not that I did, was too focused, first time nervous during a maiden, went away quickly though ) . After I found it, I started doing some touch and goes! I have many other planes that landing almost seem boring with it. Not with this plane, I did about 10 touch and goes continuously!! It looks so awesome to watch it touch the ground so smoothly without controlling it! Then after did some snaps. Wow, insane!! The plane doesn't stop and stall as usuall, it goes through the manouever! Then some KE spins, my favorite stunt! Full power I climbed way up ( I landed right after and my battery was really hot from it!! oops) pointed the nose down, left aileron, then just hit the elevator and rudder with about 1\3 throttle. Then slowly took ailerons off, and it just looked awesome!! Just as well as an edge 540 with their straight leading edge! After landing and letting my battery cool a little bit, I did some rolling harriers. Again addicting!! Although they weren't as low as aerofundan's they still looked really nice and had the same look. Was going straight and had the same "bouncy" look (fingers need work).

All in all, this plane beats any other plane I've ever tried and flown by a long shot! It was windy when I flew and it was still fantastic!

Also there was a person that showed up when I was flying. First time ever a RC pilot comes to watch me fly. After I did a couple snaps with the plane, the guys jaw dropped!! He was stunned and told me thats all he needed to see in order to buy one! Weird first time I even fly the KMD and a guy shows up to see it's greatness!!

LB
we want pics and videos,please
Old 06-13-2007, 01:01 PM
leblanc

Thats what everyone wants eh? Had no camera man with me. Going flying tomorrow weather permitting, and I will try to bring a camera man with me to take some pictures and video!! [8D]
Old 06-13-2007, 06:02 PM
aflipz

i don't know if i posted my vids here allready but here goes... (in all fairness to myself, the first vid has the cg too far forward and has lateral cg imbalance causing wing rock, and the second video was done in extremely windy conditions, next ones will be better...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAGVr32eETs

And

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkQEGtNC44U

Enjoy!

Bonefisher;

the cf control rods are exactly the right length down to the MM, if they were too short i suspect you used the wrong ones? there are two for tail surfaces in case you delete the rudder pull pull, then there is one for the motor mount locking mechanism. then there is 2 very short ones also for the motor mount, then 2 for the ailerons, are you sure you used the right ones? they are cut to length so there is exactly 1mm of zbend wire sticking out at both ends from the cf rod. (of course it is best to assemble it on the plane with the servo mounted and the arms centered)
Old 06-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Bonefisher

Aflipz... very helpful... I was using connects so I figured it out that they were made for the z-bend, which extended them a bit... got it all covered...

Only thing i seem to be missing is the "small balsa plank" that is supposed to be inserted behind the rudder pull-pull horn... Guess i can fabricate... ???
Old 06-18-2007, 06:22 AM
itai

At last my Castle Creations Berg 7P 7Ch arrived today, I will pick it up tomorrow and finish the KMD
I will keep you posted
Old 06-18-2007, 06:31 AM
GREG1

I'm following with interest. Let us know how she goes.

Greg
Old 06-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Sarah

Hi,

I just got my Katana MD and very pleased with it's construction.

I do have four Hitec HS-56HB servos going spare, do you think that they will be okay for the Katana MD?

Grateful for your help.

Sarah
Old 06-18-2007, 12:54 PM
aerofundan

ORIGINAL: Sarah

Hi,

I just got my Katana MD and very pleased with it's construction.

I do have four Hitec HS-56HB servos going spare, do you think that they will be okay for the Katana MD?

Grateful for your help.

Sarah
Hi Sarah!, I recommend using the HS-65 or the BB 373MG , the 56 don't have enough torque for the KMD.

Daniel
Old 06-18-2007, 11:54 PM
aflipz

Perhaps if the throws are mechanically the right way Sarah could get away with 56's on the ailerons. and for now only use 65's for rudder and elevator? I think that would be ok if budget is a concern.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:07 PM
itai

Castle Creations Berg 7P 7Ch is here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54855.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	707243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53185.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	707244  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.