Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
 3-D Buddy Yak-55SPE...RIP >

3-D Buddy Yak-55SPE...RIP

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

3-D Buddy Yak-55SPE...RIP

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-D Buddy Yak-55SPE...RIP

Was lucky enough to score one of these when they went on sale at UltraRC recently. Sadly, it was warped pretty bad out of the box, and I never could straighten it out completely. Was able to finally trim it to correct the inevitable roll instability (ailerons were warped pretty bad) and flew it a few times (with minor wrecks and repairs along the way), but finally it did a nose plant and broke the fuse in several places. Still fixable, but since I now have more time into repairs than flying time with the thing, I'm too disgusted to start in on more repairs. Not disgusted with the plane, but with myself. I'm no 3-D pilot but I thought this would be a good one to start learning with. However, it's much too fragile for a beginner, as I've learned to my dismay. Since the plane was only $29.95, I can't really be too upset, but I do wish I could find another fuse (or even another 3-D Buddy entirely) to try again since the rx, motor, ESC, and servos are all still fine. Since UltraRC is sold out of all their 3-D Buddy series (and it looks like they won't be bringing them back), can anyone recommend a similar plane that will take the brushless setup I got with mine (the suggested no-name stuff from UltraRC)? I really want to get a handle on this 3D stuff. TIA!
Old 07-05-2007, 05:36 PM
esc

Default RE: 3-D Buddy Yak-55SPE...RIP

Hi,

Have a look at a Hyperion Yak 55SP 3D Profile. You will feel right at home with the construction of this plane but it is better made than the 3D Buddy. I had one before my current Precision Aerobatics Electric Shock. The only reason I am not recommending the ES is that the Yak has two methods of motor mounting, one of them is a stick mount which should suit your geared motor set up. The all up weight should be about 14oz - almost identical to your old 3D buddy.

Please be aware that you will have fragility with all balsa profile models, irrespective of make. This is also true of any type of construction if you crash it hard enough! If possible I would suggest that you invest in a good model flight simulator. In that way you can practice no matter what the weather and crashes will cost you nothing. You can gain the skills that will make you real planes last a lot longer.

Hope this helps. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Regards,

Dave
Old 07-07-2007, 04:37 PM

I have several of the Ultra RC kits and they all were warped to some degree. Stay away from the Accel Hobbies Balsa ARFs that are on Ebay. Pretty low quality and tail heavy. Try one of the new E-Flite kits. Every kit I have had from them flew good. If you want to maximize your RC training dollars get into the sub 6 oz 3mm foamies. You need a calm day but they are a blast.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GG, I'm interested in a small foam plane for backyard aerobatic training, low speed. I've been flying glow for years. I want something to keep up my skills when I can't get out to the field.

Hobby Lobby has a 24 inch foam board plane that only calls for 2 cells LiPo, but the motor and controller are really expensive. I'd like to be able to put something together this size at low cost that will fly well. Am I asking too much?

Any tips much appreciated. Thanks,

Jim
Old 07-20-2007, 06:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I'm on my third profile "suitcase" plane. It's a Hobby Lobby Extra 330 and the tail feather servos mount in the rear as they should. None of the little guides to fool with. It was the best quality of the three and the fuse is stiffer than the others. Still, there's some "tail whip" because they aren't but so strong. I've broken it in half behind the canopy twice but she's still flying. I'm useing a Hacker 20/22L and CC Phoenix 25 and Hitec 55s on the ailerons and a 81 on the rudder. Using a 10X4.7 APC slowfly prop. Hited 55S radio. Now,,,,,, I want a foamy to use my EFlight 400 outrunner in. I had it in the 330 but wanted just a little more power.