Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Want to get into 3D please help

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Want to get into 3D please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:47 AM
kbailey45
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to get into 3D please help

hi Ive always been into glow power but here recently have really been interested in electric flight. I have a good amount of low wing experience but havent flown in a few years(had to sell it all when I bought my first house). I am really wanting to get into electric flight but have no experience with EP planes. Also I want to learn 3D flying. I have looked at a few planes and am not really interested in foamies if at all possible but am willing to try anything. I looked at the Ultimate Bipe 33.5" since I love biplanes and its made of balsa. The U-Can-Do 3D flightflex is appealing for the durability but I hate the looks. Any help to assist me in choosing a good plane would be greatly appreciated and I would like to stay under about $500. Just for reference my last plane was a Venus 40 with a .46 AX if that helps to determine my skill level. I was pretty good and could do a little hovering with the plane but always at high altitude thanks for the help in advance.

P.S. PLEASE HELP getting very anxious to buy something
Old 11-20-2007, 10:13 AM
rmgmag

Default RE: Want to get into 3D please help

I'd strongly recommend an EPP foam plane to start with. Two reasons: 1 - to keep the cost down, 2 - they bounce instead of breaking. There are a ton of ARF's and kits out there or if you're adventuresome, foam planes are very easy to scratch build, much easier than any nitro plane and maybe even easier than some nitro ARF's.

For a kit, I'd go with this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623366 The only reason that I'm recommending this is because it's fairly large, it's gotten great reviews, and the recommended components will go into a lot of other planes in the same size range.

If you want to scratch build: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606425 This plane is a total blast to fly. It's my go-to plane whenever I want to show off or just have fun.

You can get some really good deals on equipment at www.unitedhobbies.com

Plan on doing a lot of homework, you need to decide whether you are going to be flying mainly indoors or out. You need to decide on a size and weight range for your initial planes. Most of the components will be easily transferable to a new plane.....if you stay in the same size and weight range.

After you've gotten comfortable with 3D on foamies, that would be a good time to move to the balsa planes. Remember, it takes about 2 minutes to repair a foamie after a crash, and days and days to repair a balsa plane.....

Prior to getting into electrics, I only flew nitro planes. I haven't flown a nitro plane in over 3 years, and I really don't miss it at all......

Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Witterings

You put the same querty under another heading which I responded to as well and then later thought about this I'd seen as a possible, if you scroll through there's some video's as well http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710402
Old 11-21-2007, 04:19 PM
kbailey45
My Feedback: (41)

I really dont want a foamie and me learning 3D will be done at high altitude with room for recovery. Im looking at the Extra 47" from adchobbystore thats more like what I want. Like I said I dont have to have something that I cant break given that I have sufficient low wing experience and will not be trying to go all out on the 3D right of the bat.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: kbailey45

Im looking at the Extra 47" from adchobbystore thats more like what I want.
I've just started learning 3D and the Extra is so stable and forgiving. I'm having a blast with mine. I've bashed it a fgew times too and it's suffered surprisingly little damage.

I think the 3DHS extra is becoming to the 3D world what the Ulgy stick is to the sport flying world.

http://largoflyingclub.com/austin/acsm.wmv

Old 11-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Fliprob17

....... will not be trying to go all out on the 3D right of the bat.
It is a great all around flyer. Obviously excels in 3D, but really flies great at fast speeds and general aerobatic, and can pretty much handle everything you throw at it. Just a solid all around plane.

Here is a link to the thread over in the Aerobatic/Sport Planes section that Doc and I started - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6527504/tm.htm Basically just to preach about how great this plane is. So check that out for some more info. Also, check out the full review/build here - http://adchobbystore.com/3DHExtra-review.htm

Old 11-23-2007, 10:55 AM
1THEPALMER
My Feedback: (1)

Look here http://kalteisen.com/ Look @ the Skeeter 30 or 36 kit or ARF in the 30
A simple quick building design and way better than the mainstreem stuff (we call it The U Can't Do)
Use UH for the power plant set up and you will be able to get motor, speed control, props, servos,a couple of batteries and a charger for under $200.00 Skeeter 30 ARF on sale $45.00 balance towards a Radio!!
Eric
Old 11-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do suggest going with a foamy. I had never wanted to get one, because I thught that they will break, and I wil throw them away, which I what I did for my first few foam planes. They are cheap, and fly great. Something made out of foam is a good place to start, although I did go with a wooden plane for my first. It was a Cermark Lil' Banchee, which I flew the wings off of it, litterally. It is a good plane to start, and is pretty strong, in it's construction, and 3D flight performance.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337590

The recommended power system is fine, but I suggest using a Himax HC2812-1080 outrunner, and a phoenix 25 ESC. It is a powerful setup, that provided rocketing vertical power, and made hovering easy to do.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO... Foamies and Forty's...

try http://www.chargerrc.com
he has a whole package for like $300.00
Foamies are awesome and not horribly expensive... in fact.. buy two airframes.. you will destroy the first one
trying to be superman!!! The CR-1 or CR-2 or the Yak 37.5 are all great flyers and the owner is a cool guy who
actually flies planes!

L8R
Old 11-29-2007, 02:31 AM
feda

I really dont want a foamie and me learning 3D will be done at high altitude with room for recovery. Im looking at the Extra 47" from adchobbystore thats more like what I want. Like I said I dont have to have something that I cant break given that I have sufficient low wing experience and will not be trying to go all out on the 3D right of the bat.
Many 3D maneuvers are actually much easier to execute at low altitude unless you have a large plane. I would say the 47" is probably the minimal size that is good for a scale 3D to function OK.

If cost is a concern, then picking a profiler or foamie/EPP plane is a logical choice.

Cheers,

Max
Old 11-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't mind a bigger one, theHangar Nine Twist 3D would make a goody.I have a Himax 50, equivalent to a 46 size glow. The 45 amp ESC and I use a li-ion batt. made from Makita drill power pack. Should be close to $ 500.00. Flies on a rail when not doing 3D. Flatspins with the best.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Whistling Death

That Extra 47" you are looking at is a 3D Hobbyshop plane. I have their Yak 54, 47" and it flies like a dream. I highly recommend anything they make. Since you already have enough flying experiance you will be ok. It will take a while to learn 3D flying. One thing that has hleped me is Realflight 3.5. Helps you learn the tendencies of a plane while trying to accomplish any 3D moves.
Anyway you will have a blast just simply flying on of the 47" planes.
BTW, the plane is just one half of electric flight. Taking care of your batteries is the other.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:29 PM
thewrap

If you want a 3D foamy then go with the Eflite 260 Foamy. It flies great. I set mine up with a Park 400 outrunner 1250mah lipo. Can fly for about 20 min per pack. 10-4.7 prop. Insane power great flyer.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:57 PM
gaser11234

I have a e-flite Eratix 3d 25e it is alsome ! I used power 32 on 6 a123 and a e-flite 60a pro esc. It hovers and torque rolls all most as good has my 60 u-can-do 3d.But the Eratix 3d will also fight slower and roll faster !!
Old 05-24-2008, 02:48 PM
kid chuckles

I agree with the Eratix great looking and also just great flying allround, 3D, or just putting around. It hovers at about 3/4 throttle with the smaller 25 motor that i run and expect about 1/2 throttle with the 32. I use two 2100 lipos. I can split them and use in other planes that takes just one. This is one very fine flyer. Cost is close to what you wanted to stay with. Maybe just a tad more. Maybe not if you have some of the stuff already. Very light plane, very fine looking (will turn heads), light wing loading (what you want in a 3d), just well goooooooooooooood. Pix don't do it justice either. Bright colors very Bright.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:07 AM
custards1

here is a link to site where i got my first 3d plane form
http://precisionaerobatics.com/produ...px?prodID=1081
its called a e shock it has done wonders to my flying i got the full combo to my house in Aussie with 2 battery's for $550 here is a link to my first video i have had it for 10 months now and try and fly as much as the whether lets me
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ez3QXz15Sos