Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Rookie Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:17 PM
TyCarp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rookie Needs Help

Im gonna get into the airplane hobby(already have a nitro truck) and am looking particularly at the Precision Aerobatics Addiction or Electric Shock. Based on the fact that I'm new to this does it matter which one i go with? does this package from Atlanta Hobbies have everything in it i need besides like the radio, receiver, and charger?
Heres the link for the Electric Shock: http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=6554
Addiction: http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=7063

And also is there anywhere i could find it cheaper?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2008, 12:21 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Rookie Needs Help

Arent these fairly advanced? (just went on site and yes they are)
Unless you have massive simulator time,you wont be able to fly these.They are nothing like surface vehicles and will be short lived ( 18 seconds or less) and disapointing for a new pilot.
You will have to start with something less complex and learn from there.Get a trainer or spend lots of time on a Sim,or crash and burn and try again.Happens to everyone,that says otherwise,flying aint easy
Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 AM
tcclong

I have the Addiction and it an awesome 3D plane. That combo does come with everything except the things you mentioned. But I agree with the above statement. If you don't have any prior experience you will crash within a couple seconds. The Addiction is about my 10-11th plane, and I've been flying many years on and off. There is no way to beat the simulators that they have nowadays. I have Realflight G4 and it is awesome. Aerofly is also good, and there are some other much cheaper (lower quality) versions out there, and even some free ones. I took my brother out to try out one of my planes a few months ago. He practiced a lot on the sim and got pretty good at it. I put a real plane up high and had it all trimmed out and flying straight and level for him. It took him all of about 2 seconds to turn the plane into a pile of sticks.

If you want to get a real plane soon, they also have some cool micro planes that you can fly in the backyard on a calm day. I have the parkzone ember and it's a lot of fun. The great thing about those is that they are so light that you can crash into things and it usually doesn't hurt the thing or the plane. It's also RTF, so everything you need comes in the box. I wish they had those when I started in the hobby!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Cleared2Engage

Can't go wrong with a slow stick
Old 05-07-2008, 02:36 PM
TyCarp

I found the Parkzone Ember for 100 bucks off ebay so i might get that. but is that still not a huge jump from that to a PA Electric Shock or something similar?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:15 PM
TyCarp

Im also looking at this plane since ive realize how hard it would be to start out on one of the PA's. Tell me your thoughts for a beginner. http://cgi.ebay.com/CESSNA-182-4-CH-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 PM
tcclong

There's no comparision between the Ember and the Electric Shock. The Electric Shock is a fully capable 3D plane. If you put the recommeded motor on it you will have tons of power, which will get you into trouble if you're just learning. The Ember is a little trainer that is really small, so you can fly it in a smaller space, but it can't handle any wind. It's a slow, docile plane. You want something that you can practice takeoffs and landings, climbing, turning, flying toward yourself, etc. That Cessna would probably work as well. Just search the forums to see what people are saying about it.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My reccommendations, are to go with a Multiplex Easy Star RTF. You won't be wasting your time with it.

There is a VERY BIG difference between your average Cessna 182, and a Electric Shock. First of all, the most obvious, is that the cessna is a high wing plane, that is very stable in the air. It can have very forgiving flight characteristics. The electric shock has a symmetrical wing, and is mounted in the middle of the fuselage, which makes the plane a very neutral flying plane, whcih means it will be right at home upright, or inverted. Also, it has MUCH MUCH larger controll surfaces than the cessna, resulting in instant controll, and very very fast roll/pitch rates. Beginners need a very stable plane that they can react to and learn at their own pace, not a plane where they have to think about what they are going to do in just a few millisecnds. We urge you to not waste your money on getting a high performance 3D plane, like the Addiction, or Electric Shock. You will end up crashing the plane in second, and you will be out of the hobby as fast as you got into it. Yes they may look cool, and awesome when in the hands of an experienced pilot, and you may think "Oh, that looks very easy to do. I'm going to get one and do that" when we really have years of experience and make maneuvers like hovering, rolling harriers, rolling circles, immelmanns, loops, inverted, blenders, waterfalls, ect. appear very easy to do.

Getting a Multiplex Easy Star, or Hobby Zone Super Cub is the right way to go. If you have "young thumbs" you'll pick flying up fairly fast, and you'll be soloing your new trainer in about 10 flights. Then you can move onto an aerobatic trainer, then onto a sportty 3D plane.

Easy Star
Super Cub

The Easy star is more forgiving in flight, and can handle winds a lot better than the Super Cub. However, the Super Cub can fly in smaller areas (like a small park), where the Easy star would be a challenge to fly.

Both have their ups and downs, like the Easy Star included Hitec RDC radio equipment, which you can re-use in other future planes. The Super Cub has low quality radio gear, that you pretty much can only use in the Super Cub.

Happy Flying!