Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

78" Extreme Flight Extra

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

78" Extreme Flight Extra

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:24 AM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78" Extreme Flight Extra

Well long story short, after a 2 year break, I finally got to my final duty station and plan to start flying again. I picked up a 480 sized E-Flite Extra 260 for my first plane back, and it's just like riding a bike. First flight after 2 years I was already doing some 3D on the deck. Needless to say, I'm already pretty comfortable flying again, and since my last plane was a 35% Extra, naturally, I'd like to go big again. The problem is, these are my first electrics, so I'm still in that learning curve.

I found the EF 78" Extra and it really caught my eye! Motor and ESC included for about $780! The problem is, being only my second electric, and due to a lack of info on the site, what types of batteries would I need? What size props is a motor like this capable of swinging? Any kind of electric power system help is much appreciated. Here's the info:

Power Combo
78" Extra 300 ARF
Torque 5030/20 brushless outrunner
Airboss 90 Amp Elite ESC
Aluminum cage mount
Old 12-11-2009, 03:46 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 78

Hey ... welcome to the DarkSide ... the EF website says that motor is for 10S and a 22x10 prop. I would say check with the manual to see what they are using for batts as in the capacity. I would say go with nothing less than a 20C 5S 4,900 pack run in parallel. You should be pulling about 65-70A WOT static. Rhino 20C 5S 4,900 are cheap but they cannot be pushed hard, they will swell a bit. So it depends on how hard you want to push the plane but at USD69 a pack its very cheap.

Try the XOAR EP wooded props, they are sweet. Are you looking for advice on other power set up? Motor etc?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 PM
ICE_MAN

I'm looking for any help or advice on the power set-up and battery system anyones willing to give. Like I said this will be only my second electric plane, and I'm almost clueless to electric set-ups. I figured the included motor and esc would be optimal since its the one they use, however, if there is a power set-up that someone knows of that will give me greater thrust at no or very little additional weight I'd be willing to check that out as well. I'm kind of trying to have a bolt together and fly plane, as of now I don't have the space or tooling to modify a plane for other, non recommended power set-ups.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pushing the batteries" but I'm sure if anyone would do that it would be me. The plan would be to buy around 3 sets, that way I could keep on flying while batteries were charging, and I'm mostly into 3D and IMAC, so I'm sure my batteries go through hell. Is there another battery you would recommend? I'm looking for about 10-13 minutes flying with some reserve left to land.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:13 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

That setup sounds good - except that your packs will be in series, not in parallel. Turnigy 20C 5S 5000mah packs are OK too, and they are $50 each - also from Hobbycity.

Good luck with your electric monster!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

We have been using a 10s 5000mAH setup
APC 22x10E prop.

any quality pack should be fine.

FlightPower is excellent, but we have been having good luck with Zippy/Rhino packs too.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:45 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure that the EF power set up will be fine, their combos are never lacking in power. For batteries you can go 'branded' or 'generic'. Branded are things like Flight Power, Thunder Power, Polyquest and more, then nowadays you got 'generic' such as Turnigy and Rhino batts. I used to always use FP only, they are good but they cost about at least 3 times more compared with Rhinos and Turnigy. What I do like about the FP packs are you can push them to the limit of their C rating, I tried that with Rhinos and they swelled. But today I plan what I need and the Rhinos work fine. Example ... I treat the 20C Rhino packs like 15C packs so its in a safe zone.